Avira Premium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mick92z, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hello, I've just got a new computer.It has windows 7 64bit. It has a 60 day trial of Mcafee suite. I am planning to remove this shortly,and want to install another AV.
    I use Avira premium on two old laptops ( xp 32bit ) On one of them, i have had a few problems, one being the mail and webguard disabled, their forum is reporting a few people with this problem. Another strange problem,sometimes, when i start a scan, nothing has happened, only to find Avira scan running in task manager, then finding it running on my wifes account, not mine.Despite this,it run flawlesly on my other xp laptop.
    Its quite likely the pc may be to blame, its in need of being wiped.
    Anyhow,, my question is about my new pc, has anyone had any problems/niggles with Avira Premium on a 64 bit windows 7 machine. I know they do a 30 day trial, but I thought i would ask here before.
    I use Sandboxie pro rigorously , and I have MBAM pro installed. I intend to just use windows firewall when i remove Mcafee.
    Many thanks for your opinions/advice

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I use Avira Premium on one of my computer, and it runs flawlessly, on 64-bit Windows 7. Super light, with absolutely no issues in any department. When the latest version, v10, was released, it had some annoying bugs, but those have been fixed with engine updates.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Worked fine on my 64 bit machine from day one,

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have Avira Premium on my Vista64 and Sandboxie: no problems. The good thing about 64 bit OSs is that Avira comes without the behavioural component 'ProActiv' so one doesn't have the dilemma of using it or not (ProActiv is still the only new component in V10 which might slow down some computers).

Another thing to watch is MBAM's active guard, some people complained about slowdowns (in which case it could be used on demand).

5. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! I'm currently running Avira Premium in conjunction with Prevx Safe on-Line...and Avira runs effortlessly...and I haven't found Web Guard affecting my surfing...or causing slowdowns...I'm still wondering about Pro-Activ and it's effectiveness. Anyhow so far so good with Avira Premium. Sincerely...Securon

6. mick92z

Many thanks for your experiences, much appreciated :thumb:

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

How come Avira still does not show if it is running inside Guest account or not? Although it is running but it shows as disabled. This does not look good for the reputation of Avira.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It will take more then that to kill Aviras reputation. Still one of the best out there. They did take a right turn when they should have gone left, but they have reversed dirrection and................................hmm, that is a 2011 prediction posted yearly on Christmas Eve. Sorry.:'(

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i think they went in the right direction with v10 and having the BB, it just needed some more work before it was released IMO

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The only thing I don't like with the Web Guard is that with any download manager either through your browser or as a separate app the download speeds and ETA of when the download is going to complete is now completely useless information.

I already wrote Avira complaining about this and all Avira Fan Boys should do the same.

I love this product but there's no excuse now to kill the information for downloading when it's important for some people that do a lot of downloading and with big downloads that need to know this information.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

DasFox, I got used of that webguard behavior long long time ago and it's not a hassle to me anymore.
    I too download a lot of stuff and learnt to manage those ETAs within d/l managers.
    The good thing is my files download time are not affected in any way.
    You have to either live with it or disable wg, the latter I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
    Last but not least, I join to your complains ;)

12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you exclude your regular download websites and broadband speed checker websites from scanning by webguard you should get accurate timings.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7250842_make-exception-avira-antivirus.html

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

they should do it the way avast (and i think most others) do it and scan as its the data is being displayed so there isnt any pause between scanning and displaying

14. RogerSC

RogerSC Registered Member

On the original poster's problem with both mailguard and webguard being disabled, I also had this problem. I think for me it stemmed from having the free version first, and then trying to directly upgrade to the premium version. What fixed it for me is to first grab the license file, then totally uninstall, run the Avira registry removal program, then re-install and re-license.

Whether you started with Avira PE (free version) or not, the above may well fix your problem.

Here's the URL of a more detailed description of the above procedure. You have to go down the page some to find it:

http://forum.antivir.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=999905

-Roger

15. mick92z

I'm not so sure, I never had the free version. Strangely, I have two almost identical XP 32bit laptops.On one I never had a problem, the other quite a few with Avira premium.I put this down to the computer. However, there have been a few reports of the disabling of web and mailguard, without a specfic reason.
    This is the first time I have 'trialled ' Avira Premium,and I can say, on my 64bit desktop,it seems to be running like a dream. :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  16. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Using antivir premium noticed u can right click folder colour n stuff now.

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Is the WebGuard only for scanning downloads or it works while surfing keeping an eye on things?

THANKS

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

20. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

howz the proactive defense now.. o_O

21. mick92z

On 64bit systems,its not even an option. It's only available on 32bit
    systems

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.