Avira PP - add Boclean and SSM or Spyware Terminator+WinPatrol?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by quadrophonic, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I installed the free 6 month trial of Avira Premium AV last week and was running Spyware Terminator and WinPatrol free.

I just uninstalled an old version of ST. Before I reinstall the updated Spyware Terminator, would it be wiser to use Boclean and SSM instead of ST and Winpatrol free?

The recent posts seem to indicate that many of you have switched to SSM and Boclean, although some are running everything!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

It would certainly offer greater protection, but if u need it depends on your habits.

3. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Avira PP - add Boclean and SSM or Spyware Terminator+WinPatrol?

its overdone very much.

all you need is Avira PP, that's all, if you have to add something , add SSM to protect Avira PP

4. quadrophonic

In your opinion then, the Antivir Guard is enough? I have ZA Pro and between the two of them, it's nice protection. WinPatrol Free and Spyware Terminator provide some nice alerts, though. Any time a new program attempts to use another process, or use a dll that hasn't been used before, they catch it. Sometimes it's time consuming, but it's always informative.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I use Win Patrol Pro, and would not be without it. I like it especially for the info it gives re start up, and running processes. I also like the fact that you can disable start-up with whatever security application you desire.

Jerry

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm using Win Patrol Pro here too and have the same opinion of it.
    Nice program!

I would probably choose Comodo BOClean & SSM over ST & the free version of Win Patrol though.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was just told by Avira support to remove ProcessGuard and SSM as they are incompatible with Avira.

8. quadrophonic

Thanks for posting that. I'll keep Winpatrol free then. I just loaded BoClean after uninstalling Spyware Terminator yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that, aside from quite a license agreement, I can't do a scan with BoClean. The online support site says that a scan is done once at startup, while the program is always working if loaded at bootup. I don't see anything about HIPS protection, though.

Is it too much to have Boclean, Winpatrol, and Spyware Terminator installed and running along with Avira Premium and Zone Alarm Pro, Spybot S&D immunizer, Spyware Blaster and a HOSTS file (with a possibility of IE-Spyad being added)? Does Boclean take the place of say, the resident AVG Anti-Spyware shield?

9. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Using SSM here with Avira premium and no proglems at all.:)

10. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Did you had any particular problems Mele20? Because I've been running SSM and Avira on my Laptop for the last two month now without any problems.;)

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

EVer since I got Avira in early January and went to their forum, I saw the techs telling folks to remove PG and SSM as incompatible. They also say to remove TeaTimer which I don't use although I do have and use Spybot on demand.

I have a problem currently since the April 18 update with the scanner when I right click and scan a file I just downloaded. About one out of ten scans and sometimes two times in row, Avira will freeze and crash after scanning when I click "end" button. Another person first reported this in the Avira forum and then several more confirmed it and I posted and confirmed it also. Tech support was actually flippant. Asked why anyone would right click scan a file...said that was stupid so it didn't need fixing. The tech later apologized for the remark but I got the impression it is considered a non-problem by Avira. One member here posted about it...I forget who..anyhow, I had it happen twice in row a day or so ago. So, I posted the crash error from Event Viewer and simply said that this did need fixing.

That got me a demand from Avira that I post a Hijackthis log and remove PG and SSM as incompatible with Avira. It was after the tech read the Hijackthis log and was playing log expert (he questioned some entries from Microsoft programs) that he said I had to remove SSM because it has a process running! It shouldn't because I uninstalled it after using it for awhile. I will probably use it again when I feel PG is getting too old. The tech saw the SSM process in the HijackThis log. (I guess I have to go to the SSM forum and ask why there is a process running from SSM when it is uninstalled).

I was also told that I had too many processes running! Geez...I have a powerful Dell XPS 600 with 2GB RAM so big deal if I have 59 processes running.

I haven't checked the Avira forum today so I don't know if there are replies. I posted and stated again that I will not remove PG or the Proxomitron. They are the two programs I can't live without and I mentioned again that once PG gets too old I will probably move to SSM. My take on this is that Avira is irritated because some of us feel that "old fashioned" right click on demand scanning of a file is useful and we don't like it when after April 18 Avira freezes sometimes when performing this task. Avira never froze before April 18.

Anyhow, if you have been running them together successfully I'd say keep right on.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I added BoClean to mine.

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Very interesting thread, I will add BoClean. Interesting..removal of SSM. Oh, I have Spybot S&D, I have deactivated teatimer..the white and black list drove me nuts.

14. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

trjam, what do feel BOClean adds to Avira? I use Prevx1 with Avira and have a squared Anti-Malware which is also good I believe. I even use it with Prevx1 and Avira occasionally, but it uses much more memory than BOClean did.

15. one111

one111 Registered Member

I've been using Avira Premium and ProcessGuard together for more than two months and they're working fine . What kind of compatibility problems are they talking about?

16. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

BOClean does not have a regular scanner, but you should be able to 'drag and drop' individual files onto the interface and have them scanned that way.
    There isn't any, BOClean just compares its sigs with processes as they come into memory, to see if they are known to be bad.
    You tell me!
    It is a question of which you prefer. I prefer AVG-AS, 'cos, quite apart from any other consideration, the Guard will be scanning files before they start to run as well as scanning them as they enter into memory.

17. quadrophonic

Thanks for all the replies. There's too much to quote so I'll just reply to each post and hope I cover everything.

I'm currently waiting for answers to posts I made in other threads, as I'm trying to figure out what the free versions of Regdefend, Appdefend, Cyberhawk, Process Guard, and SSM do that Boclean and Spyware Terminator doesn't. I already know what AVG Anti-Spyware does as I had it loaded until its trial ended. Now I use it as an on-demand scanner. It's similar to Spyware Terminator, but until I see some reviews, I won't know if its HIPS protection is as good. What I'm trying to ascertain is if Spyware Terminator is currently the only free program that offers HIPS protection as well as a realtime shield. Another question is whether HIPS protection is needed with Avira Premium? They seem to have alot of faith in the AVguard.

I, too used Spybot Teatimer, and while I feel it's a very good process and registry blocker, the black and white list was hard to control. It seemed to ask if I wanted to block legit clsid's too often.

Duke wanted to know what BoClean adds to Avira. If you listen to the Avira forum mods, probably nothing. However, just the fact that it scans at startup is a help.

For that matter, since the AV-Comparatives report stated that Avira is an excellent malware blocker, you have to wonder if it isn't scanning for the same things that AVG Anti-Spyware and Spyware Terminator are scanning for, causing unnecessary overlap.

Mele20 says he's had problems scanning since the April 18th update. If I recall, that was the Rootkit search update, where they added a Rootkit scan.
    I had problems with scanning also after that. I uninstalled Avira Premium, and reinstalled the latest download soon after that update, and haven't had any problems since.

Thanks to TopperID for his Boclean information.

What I'm trying to do is put together the best FREE security configuration.
    There's enough great freeware out there to be able to do this. Most of us have ISP's that offer free security suites, but often they're inferior to what you can get elsewhere for free (i.e. Avast/Avira PE Classic/AOL-Kaspersky with ZA free or Comodo or Kerio). If you check the online retailers and Sunday ads, you can find top security software for free after rebates. For the past several weeks, Norton IS and the Kaspersky Security Suite were free after rebate. I've also seen Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, and Zone Alarm for extremely reasonable prices after rebate. Remember that once you purchase the software, you qualify for competitive rebates in the future, which means you may be getting software free AR for years to come.

Has it ever been suggested that Wilders have a Hot Deals forum for top shelf security software? Slickdeals.net and Techbargains.com seem to be the best places to find that information, unless someone here knows of a better forum.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Using Avira classic n SSM for more than 6 months. No issues at all.

Edit: i have remove rootkit detectio though, due to BSODs.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  19. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using kerio 2.1.5 avira premium and ssm free(2.0.8.583) nearly for 3 months .They go along well.But ssm free 2.0.8.584 caused me BSOD s so I did not update ssm free.

20. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

No use Spyware Terminator, it's awesome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.