Avira "last update" warnings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nameless, Jun 15, 2017.

1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I have an Avira issue I've seen many times. It has not happened in awhile, then suddenly occurred again just now, for some reason. I've reported this in the past, with no real response, IIRC, other than "We can't reproduce that.".

I've also uninstalled/reinstalled, and doing so again is not going to help. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

In the configuration, under General > Warnings, if I set "Alert, if last update is older than" to 1, I sometimes get warnings even when I've had an update within hours.

I've attached a screenshot of exactly what I mean. It clearly shows that today is 6/15, that the last update occurred today (6/15), and that it should not alert unless the last update was >1 day ago. Is there a setting related to discrepancies in the fabric of the space-time continuum that I'm missing?

This is Avira Antivirus Pro 15.0.26.48, under Win10 Pro x64.

avira_wtf.png

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. nameless

It's currently 8.14.12.108, date 6/14.

Is that what it's checking against? Then I guess the question becomes ... Why is it checking for updates and saying "up to date ... optimal protection"?

And I still think it's odd that it shows the "last update" as today (it's now showing 6/16).

4. anon

anon Registered Member

Then, set [and forget] = "Alert, if last update is older than" to 2 days.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. nameless

Yeah, I had it that way for a long time (because of this issue). Then I switched it back to 1 day, and it was fine for quite awhile. I don't want definitions that are 2+ days old...

6. anon

anon Registered Member

I have the same VDF in 3 PC's. I suspect that something is wrong with Avira update servers.
    AFAIK, first time for years Avira is not updated for 2 days.

Btw, the VDF History webpage says that since VDF .108, released 3 additional VDF (.128 / .130. / .148 =
    https://www.avira.com/en/support-vdf-history
    which I think that is wrong too.

7. nameless

This issue went away but has come back a couple times since I started this thread. I currently have VDF 8.14.15.100, dated 7/1, and it's nearly 7/3 as I write this. The VDF history page has not been updated since 6/19.

Can someone please check their VDF version and tell me if it's just me? I know if I contact Avira, the first things they'll tell me are "We can't reproduce that" and "Please reinstall".

8. anon

anon Registered Member

Latest VDF: 8.14.15.100, dated 7/1.

9. nameless

Thank you. So either Avira is having issues, or malware is on vacation.

If I did not have so much license time left, I would just use WD.

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

That page is still not updated.
    But when you look at the virus description page you see that there were certainly added threats since 19 June 2017.
    The VDF history page seems to be out of sync.
    More than that I don't know (I don't run Avira).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  11. ance

ance formerly: fmon

All Germans are on holiday, no updates for Avira. :D

12. anon

anon Registered Member

1. ^ This.
    2. During the past weekend, not released any VDF.
    3. Since Monday morning, VDF released as usual.
    4. Current VDF = 8.14.15.226 =

13. nameless

Thanks again, all.

I'm done with Avira. They can have the 2.5 years I have left on my license. This nonsense along with all the other issues that never get resolved are just too much. Recently one of their longstanding bugs reared its head again for me, and deleted a harmless executable and shortcut, and would not let me restore them from quarantine. Oh, I know: "It's your fault. We can't reproduce. Please smash your PC, burn your house down, replace everything, and reinstall. Then, when the problem is still there, it'll be your fault again."

WD beat Avira in the most recent real-world av-comparatives.org test anyway.

Please note that I appreciate the responses but I won't be checking back for replies, ever.

14. anon

anon Registered Member

If you want a refund, I am sure they will give it to you.
    -------------
    a) Well we asked in our dev. dept. and they are working on a redesign of our detection mode starting in July. So as soon as development is done we will roll-out an update with "interactive" again

b) Then you can add files to be omitted for both Scanner and Guard in the configuration window.
    -------------
    That's another story.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Probably old news already, but it looks like the out-of-sync issue of the VDF history page has been fixed.
    https://www.avira.com/en/support-vdf-history

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.