Avira, KIS, LooknStop, and Kerio 2.1.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JerryM, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I know little about firewalls. I have used only LnS and Kerio 2.1.5 as stand alone firewalls. Those two were not bothersome, and I never had a penetration.

Using KIS 6 firewall in the training mode I had, it seemed, an inordinate number of alerts. All involved one of my programs going out to update, and it did not seem to learn. The low setting does OK, and I am going to continue that setting, as higher settings are too bothersome for me.

I trialled Avira suite and do not recall anything that was very troublesome, and also I used F-Secure IS for several months, the firewall seemed straightforward, and it was easy to determine which application was causing the alert.

I use LnS with the enhanced rule set. As for Kerio, I did very little as to configuring it, and have liked it. I removed it for FSIS and now KIS 6.

I am not so sure but that I prefer KAV with LnS to KIS.

In a general sense how would some of you who have personal experience with some or all of the firewalls mentioned consider their effectiveness?

I would prefer to limit the discussion to those particular firewalls, and not to get into a discussion of other good firewalls, such as Comodo or Outpost, etc.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use KIS6 in XP. I used to use NOD32 & LnS. Had to get rid of LnS cause it would block Yahoo Mail. I'd clear out weird Yahoo entries from LnS. And it'd wotk again. Had to do that every couple days to week or so. Enough, got rid of LnS.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I used LnS and NOD32 together for one year and never had any problem. then I switched to KIS but like you did not like the numerous alerts. When my wife was using the computer she was going crazy.:eek:

When my license with KIS ended I tried Avira with Kerio 2.1.5. I knew Kerio because I used it in the past and I really like it. Easy to use, and for the years I used it I never had any problems.

Unfortunately there is a known Driver conflict with PerfectDisk 8.0, so I was forced to remove Kerio.

Right now I am trying Jetico 1.0 with Avira

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

NOD32 & Look 'n' Stop combination works beautifully together, and adding the Yahoo Mail to this combination, still be no conflicts... Some people is required to have an ICMP rule to permit incoming 'Frag needed and DF set' - Code 4, Type 3 ... This rule is required for people experiencing connection issues like when manually browsing to Windows Updates, checking Yahoo Mail and different things.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I think that for me, a very safe user, it does not make a difference except for the degree of intrusiveness. At this point I prefer, slightly, stand alone applications, and KAV or Avira along with either LnS or Kerio 2.1.5 would be safe.

I never experienced the problem with Yahoo mail, but I KNOW that different systems react different.

I also am pleased with FSIS, KIS, and the Avira suite, which I trialled, and any of them will also do OK.

I appreciate the information.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. fce

fce Registered Member

i choose KIS because it works great in my lappy and it did not give me any software conflict...remember if you have multiple security software running in you PC, once they upgrade their version they will fv<ked up your system bigtime and you will waste time fixing the problem.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi fce,

Yes, that can happen. However, I have been fortunate in that neither Kerio nor LNS ever had a problem with any application. That is not always the case with some other type of security applications.
    KIS 7 is also working flawlessly on my laptop. :thumb:

Regards,
    Jerry

8. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

you may want to check, but it is my understanding, that the KIS firewall aka Anti-Hacker, provides no outbound firewalling in low setting. may have something to do with your lack of alerts. security is not convienent.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.