Avira HTTP Scanner Slowdown

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ed_H, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I recently installed Avira Premium and am noticing a significant slowdown with web guard activated. Is this typical or do I likely have a conflict slowing things down?

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I think its typical. It happens on my systems also.

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks...I was afraid of that.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I beg to differ. No issues with slowdown here at all... What kind of slowdown are you talking about exactly? Web pages loading slow or some internet "speed tests"?

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Web pages loading slowly and downloads are slow.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Web browsing is a little slow, but not quite as slow as with KIS's web scanning - in my experience at least.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

all my systems have no slowdown with it going. even with downloads or speed tests..... also the HTTP scanner wont slow down downloads... it only scans downloads once it is finished.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As web scanners go, Avira's and Avast's are probably the best in terms of their impact on browsing speeds, they are both very light. Sure, there may be a slight noticeable impact, but again, it's very minimal for most people. Other AV's scanners are much heavier and slower in my experience.

You could have some conflict going on there. Try another one and see if you get the same results (Avast for example). If it's too much, you may have to move on to something else if you can't identify the conflict, or just turn that feature off if you don't need it or mind losing it.

9. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I have trouble configuring the http scanner with sites like www.pandora.com or www.slacker.com. I have the typical buffering problems with Firefox especially.

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I had no noticeable impact from the web scanner in KIS 2009. I did use the KIS removal tool prior to installing Avira but maybe something was still left behind and is causing a problem.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

No slowdowns at all, install Net Meter or Bit Meter and you will see you are getting rated bandwidth. Avira web scanner is a proxy and caches to scan all the web data. There is a delay of course but your total bandwidth is not effected.

12. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Seems like streaming websites like slacker.com and pandora.com work fine with IE7, but Firefox acts like a snail.

13. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Nothin slow here. :D

14. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I notice only the slightest slowdown with the webguard. The extra layer of protection it provides more then compensates...:cool:

15. vijayind

Can you try with WebGuard disabled. If you see improved speeds with WebGaurd disabled, then we know where to point the finger :D

For me, there is general slow down. Not very severe in most cases, but sites with have lot of JS/VBS/Ajax get really bummed out !! W/O webguard things are faster...

16. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Because it is a proxy it "trickles" data slower to the browser than it receives it from the net. This means that your download manager/browser will show incorrect download speeds.

The only real delay is when you're downloading large archives and they need to be scanned after getting downloaded to the proxy cache... Only when that scan is complete your browser will receive the remaining data of the file.

So don't just trust your download meters or speed tests, they will lead you in the wrong direction :)

17. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I found some leftover registry entries from KIS so I uninstalled Avira, cleaned up the registry and reinstalled. A definite improvement in browsing speed. Still a bit slower than KIS 2009 but better than before.

18. vijayind

Hmm... Let me also uninstall and do a CCleaner. Let see ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.