Avira- how to get the old notification options?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by argus tuft, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Hi, sorry about the poorly worded title.
    I'm just setting up a new pc, but now in the notification area i get an avira icon that asks me to log in? double clicking it results in what i guess is supposed to look like an android phone screen popup. So does clicking the avira icon in the start bar. the icons tooltip informs me that 'avira is offline'.

on my already running desktop, i have the old, and actually useful, options to start update etc. is there any way of getting those options back, and getting rid of this other rubbish? I have no interest in creating an account, logging into it, or having avira 'online'.

thanks

2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

What product are your using ? Looks like its Avira online essentials. Download the antivirus and install it.

3. argus tuft

thanks for the reply :)
    Its the free antivirus available from http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus
    As far as i can tell its the only version of the free av they have still, for older versions it says contact support.

In the start menu, avira folder there are 2 folders, 'avira desktop', and 'my avira'
    in the avira desktop folder is the usual avira free i'm used to.

'My avira' shows up in the applications tab of task manager, although it has no window at all, and it also appears in the "preventing windows from closing down" dialogue. If possible i'd like to get rid of it altogether.

4. KaptainBug

Can you post some screenshots of the program ?

5. argus tuft

6. KaptainBug

Well, the first 3 pics are the avira online essentials. If you uninstall that then you will get the normal right click options in the tray icon and other notifications which will be from antivirus only.

7. KaptainBug

8. anon

anon Registered Member

@ argus tuft,
    Try the "modify" installation (select the components you want to install or uninstall) and uncheck the "Avira Online Essentials" option =
    --------------------------

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Originally codenamed ‘MyAvira’, Avira Online Essentials will now be included with every Avira product download and will manage Avira’s entire line of security products as if they were services that can be toggled on or off.

10. argus tuft

Thanks so much guys, it was really annoying me. Uninstalling the "Avira" item in uninstall programs solved it, and got the old right click stuff back. :)

Its absolutely retarded though that you need to actually uninstall part of the program just to get basic functionality back. How on earth did they think this was a good idea?

11. anon

anon Registered Member

:thumb:
    ---------------------------------
    =
    http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/918/news/avira-free-online-essentials

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.