Avira free -Quick scan?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vincenzo, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I'm installing Avira free on an old XP computer for a senior. She only uses it once a week or so. If I have Avira set for full scan, then every time she turns it on, it will need to scan for an hour or more. The longest interval I can set it for is 22 days but I'd rather not wait that long between scans.

I'm looking for thoughts on whether Quick Scans are thorough enough for a casual user.

Thanks

2. century

century Registered Member

I don't think quick sacns are thorough enough for anybody - elderly persons & children included.
    If I were in your position I would set full scan at the longest interval possible, it is 30 days I think, and request the person using the computer to start the computer at the designated time.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

For the scenario you mention Avira's real-time protection will do the job, and given that the machine is being rarely (and safely) used, a monthly full-scan is quite enough.

Since you seem to be monitoring her computer, she could be instructed to perform very quick scans in between with HitmanPro, there is no need to install it and she'll have a second opinion virus scanner.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I think that Avira would be a bad choice considering the popup nag they will get.

id use kingsoft Antivirus 2012 its free and you can schedule tasks. version 2013 will have the avira scanning engine for free. its worth the look at.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I won't be monitoring, whatever I set up on automatic is what she will have. I don't believe the nag screen will be a problem.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.