Avira Free Is Good But What Gives?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EASTER, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I normally since i research a lot of malware/viruses just upgraded a couple of my systems with AntiVir Free that i find satisfactory if not more in some respects. But the last version 7 carried a little chirp beep on it's GUARD DETECTIONS, which was OK with me because on a full scan you can set your own acoustical alert as you wish.

Now since upgrading the free version to 8 + the Guard chirp beep is been replaced by my "open program" windows MEDIA sound effect and that bugs the dickens out of me. Is there a Logical purpose why they don't just allow the same acoustical alerts for BOTH the Guard & Scan, or is it pre-designed in that manner to better annoy & encourage free users to step it on up to their Premium Version?

Can anyway confirm this change and offer your own opinions over it?

Thanks EASTER

2. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Antivir gives me a beep when the guard detects something.

3. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Same here (as ggf31416). On both my PC (Premium), and my roommate's (Free), the Guard alert is a beep, not a wave file. Both are latest versions.

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

With Premium, default is a beep, but you can set it to a wave file under scanner configuration.

5. boonie

boonie Registered Member

I think easter is referring to the Guard Alert, not the Scanner Alert.

In the Configuration settings, you can substitute a wave file for the Scan Alert (Scanner>Scan>Further Actions), but the Guard Alert (Guard>Scan>Further Actions) is merely a choice between checking or unchecking "Acoustic alert", no choice of substitution is given.

Nevertheless, according to his post, the program is using a wave file for the Guard alert. Odd.

6. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

in version 9 the configuration for the sound will be global for all avira modules. so you can keep the avira one or choose the one you like. (or disable it)

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I was speaking of Guard Alert (sorry 4 confusion)

I'll wait for version 9 to offer users a wav file alert.

I use these quite extensively, for instance in Windows i set a wav file of my choice for "open program" so theres an audible note sounding whenever an executable is been launched. Very useful.

Thanks Guys

EASTER

8. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Hi
    is it because not every computer chassis has a built-in speaker? The beep as I understand it is produced by the chassis speaker, if such exists, while the wav file goes through the system speakers or the headphones.
    I have repaired systems which do not have a chassis speaker - it made it difficult on at least one occasion to diagnose errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.