Avira Forum Changes

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by fredra, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    I hope this does not go against the TOS. I searched and can't seem to find a reason NOT to post this information here. This is NOT to disobey the rules of the TOS.
    The new Avira forum has changed.
    -users can post new threads and only reply to those specific threads.
    -users will not be able to reply to any other threads UNLESS they have posted a total of 500 threads, then those users MAY BE given the title of "trusted user".
    -only "trusted users" can reply to any thread.
    -only "trusted users" can suggest improvements to the software.
    -after the next two months no additional "trusted users" will be accepted or approved.
    The times are a changing :)
    Cheers :D

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

wow..interesting approach. Have they had problems with users over there? Doesnt this mean that there are gonna be alot of posts that wont get answers until the first user reaches the 500 post mark. :D

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I guess they don't want any new helpers there then :)

Their forum, their call. Just too bad in case they lose existing posters (lack of interest etc.) or they get swamped by posts.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I can see these new posts wont get answered for months while the posters build their 500 thread count, then the thread will get a reply or two. Long before then the post starter will have given-up/lost interest and this is supposed to be a move to improve things o_O

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Has the OP's info been verified as correct? If so WOW!:eek: More people might have seen this if posted in the Other Av Forum though.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  6. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Hammer
    Here is SOME of the verification, Post #2
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=68364
    Although that thread does not cover ALL the restrictions, I can assure you that my original points are correct.
    You can feel free to go and join the AVIRA forum and see if you can "reply" to any existing threads, you will not be able to do so.
    I am not going to give an opinion as it is their forum and they can establish whatever rules they deem fit. These changes were brought about from some crazy stuff that happened in their German forum and I am not privy to what happened.
    Cheers :)

7. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well yes we know this is not a very nice change, but it needed to be done because of very big problems with users in the german part. It was already announce in the old forum by closing the offtopic section.

but to become a trusted member, you do not need to post 500 postings. same for those who are really reaching this number they wont automatically get the trusted member status. you are able to ask for permission to the usergroup tursted members and avira will decide about it.

8. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thanks for that clarification.
    What I find ironic is that some members who are/were in the Beta testing V7 AND V8, and who diligently helped by providing constructive feedback are now not considered to be "trusted". On the other hand others who have "yelled" and been told to continue yelling. In addition, these "yelling" post frivolous and non-constructive threads and in the end they admit it is their own fault, these have the "trusted" moniker.
    If you are NOT trusted you can't make any suggestions to improve the product and there is no alternative method to present to AVIRA, any improvements.
    Futhermore, if a user has fixed a problem on his own, and later he/she sees someone else having the same problem in the forum, should they PM a moderator and send the solution via that method or should they email the poster with the solution?
    It is AVIRA's forum and they can set whatever rules they deem necessary to fit their policy, so good luck to them.
    Cheers :)

9. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Their forum, their rules....

but my opinion:

Isn't the whole point of a forum to discuss?

If people wanted answers only from select people they would submit a tech support request.

I think measures like that have the ability to kill an online community.

10. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

could you tell us whom you mean. i will suggest them. as far as i know (cause i was away the last week the whole forum changed) users with 500+ postings where set to be trusted members. if you think someone is missclassified just pm a mod or admin and we will check this.
    well yes you can. just open a new topic. this is possible for all and will be read.
    yes we know this is a little problem. hope we can fix this with allowing new users to the trusted members

yes that's correct. we had thought about this before changing the rules.
    but we had really big problems in the german part, where the idea of the supportforum was lost cause a whole group of users started "fights" in many topics, not only in off topics. and this was not really a good image for the main support platform for avira personal users.

we know that in the einglish part there where not such problems, but we cannot have seperate rules for both languages.

11. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Couldn't such arguments/flame wars etc be controlled via the moderation team?

(As a very simplified example)

e.g. Argument starts- moderator reminds all those involved to keep any comments constructive and not to start insulting etc etc.... people listen and the topic carries on as normal

or

An argument starts or an off topic thread starts to become out of hand.
    Moderator intervenes, and either gives a warning and/or closes the thread or removes the offending posts... any member who continues to abuse the board and ignore the warning of the moderators has their posting ability suspended or are completely removed from the board.

This way is reactive rather than pro-active, yes, but people will soon get the idea that if they distrupt the board or are more concerned with flaming than discussing the matter at hand, then they are no longer welcome on the board. And new users have the freedom to ask/reply to different threads without the complicated rules about only replying to their own thread etc etc

I am not dictating to Avira, only making a suggestion :)

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

This is a discussion to have with the primary stakeholders - the users/staff of the Avira forums. This is really not a discussion to have at another site.

If it can't be carried out in the open forums there, then pursue the discussion via PM with those who can actually influence and adjust policy at that site.

Thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.