Avira + Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My daughter is using Avira Premium, MBAM Pro and the Windows 7 firewall.
    When her subscription to Avira expires I am wondering which of the three options are best oveall? All will include MBAM in real time.
    1. Avira AV + W 7 Firewall
    2. Avira AV + PC Tools firewall
    3. Avira Suite

I know several people who use the W 7 firewall, and have not experienced infections.
    I am running PC Tools on one computer and OA free on the other.

I don't understand all the ins and outs of firewalls.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

:thumb:

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Windows 7 firewall out of the box is not really friendly and immediate to use and control your applications, but since you already use it I guess this is not a problem. Most of the 3rd party firewalls are not pure firewalls and integrate some extra protection methods/modules, like hips, anti-keylogging etc. Also provide a more easy and immediate way to control mainly the applications that request connections with the external world. If you're also behind a router with a firewall, then the need for a 3rd party firewall becomes less important.

Now about the 3 options you have posted. I always say that you don't have to change what already works for you. But if you decide to install a 3rd party firewall then do yourself a favour and get a strong firewall. This is not the case of the suites. So I suggest to get a standalone 3rd party firewall and combine it with the AV you like.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I do appreciate the comments and advice. I suspect she will prefer to remain with Avira Premium and W7 firewall. The less pop ups the better.
    FWIW I am finding the PC Tools, and OA firewals are running well for me without much interference. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Jerryl

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Can't think of any reason to take a third-party firewall instead of Windows 7 Firewall (together with your router firewall).
    Windows 7 Firewall is light, powerful (in terms of inbound protection third-party firewalls won't do a better job) and configurable (Windows Firewall with Advanced Security).
    Outbound traffic-wise it works different: you have to setup rules yourself for this, but I don't think outbound control is significant for your daughter anyway. Outbound traffic only matters when you are already infected or you want to fully control your traffic (but this is possibly due to the advanced options).

In my opinion there is only one reason NOT to choose Windows Firewall, namely when you don't want a firewall, but a firewall with a host-intrusion prevention system.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Note: the Avira security suite has some bugs. Some in the GUI, some others.

Also, the suite (not sure about Avira free) doesn't check all malware categories, like SRP, excessive runtime compression etc.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Option #1, IMHO. I would even consider MBAM (although a great application) a waste of resources.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I actually thought that no one would choose option 1, even though the folks I know use W7 FW. They would not recognize any of the favorites on these forums, but are safe surfers (whatever that is) and do not get infected unless they click on one of the rogues.

It does seem, according to the limited test results that I have seen, that the suites have anemic firewalls, except one.
    I would think that if the developers of the AV suites do not want to develop good firewalls that they might go to one of the firewall experts and maybe attempt to use something like OA or Comodo. That might not be acceptable to the firewall developers, however.
    Thanks for your continuing comments.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Definitely would avoid the suite... The firewall was, well... to put it mildly, extremely chatty for no good reason at all. I tend to like FWs that are set up and forget it type.

PC Tools FW (w/ disabled ESV) is good, also W7 firewall is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.