Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BrainWarp, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

WHat is your Opinion on this antivirus

AntiVir scored very high on the av test,but how does it work on people computers?

I did d/l it ,but the program claimed i am in demo mode so i get no updates.Other than that it seems to run very well.definitely not bloatware.

I have 3 comps i need antiviruses for, i have been reading the different forums and trying some out.One of the comps is a laptop with vista.Dr web has there beta out,F-prot will give no time frame ND AntiVir claims there vista version will be out april 10th

The laptop has 37 days left with norton trial

F-prot 6 seems to be the cheapest for 3 comps,but they did not score as well as AntiVir did.But version 6 is still new and will mature over time.

I was hoping whatever antivirus i ended up with runs low system resourses.Dr web is the best in that department,but there scores were somewhat low( that concerns me).

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I hear some sweet changes are coming to this suite around the first week of April. They are long over due, but if they have what I think in it, then it will be a contender for the new Eset suite.:) The AV is one of the top 3.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Antivir is very light and it scans fast. Its quite configurable too. Only concern is that its heuristics can be prone to false positives (compared to nod32 at least).

4. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I am running the free version in a gaming snapshot. I like it and it's free. You do get a nag screen when it updates but it dosen't really bother me. I haven't had any FPs

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium?

premium is not free.... :rolleyes:

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

hes obviously talking about the classic version [​IMG]

7. BrainWarp

I also just d/l the classic version,but it claims to be valid only to 5 /31/07

Is this the one that is suppose to be free?Well it is free for 2 months:rolleyes:

8. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

The license expiration date will be psuhed forward later. Avira Antivir Personal Edition Classic is totally free and not just for a limited time.

9. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

AVIRA premium is a pretty good anti virus.
    The only problem is the ammount of false positives compared to others.

A new version of the suite is coming out soon. I hope they improved the firewall. Because current is really bad

10. pykko

pykko Registered Member

currently it's the best here at detection rates. Very nice support, strong heuristics (with some FPs). Also they answer to every sample submitted and add it in 3-4 days or even faster. That's why I've switched from nod32 to it. IT's light in resources also and it does its job very well.

11. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Also a former NOD32 user, now sticking with AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium. I agree with what people say here about its detection rate, and it's also very good when it comes to detecting adware/spyware, which is F-Prot's weak spot, I would say (and Dr.Web's to a certain degree). :)

One annoying bug: the umbrella (the icon showing if the realtime guard is on or not) disappearing after an Explorer crash, but it comes back after an update or if you restart the avgnt.exe process. The guard is still active even if the umbrella icon is not shown.

Hopefully they'll fix the small bugs soon.

12. BrainWarp

When the next version comes out,is you current 2007 keycode automatically updated to the next version?

Also what is the difference between the free and paid personal versions?I don't really see anything but mailgaurd as the difference.It's hard to believe that not much is said about this antiviris.Runs great on my computer.Detection rate is right with kaspersky without the slowupsAnd it cheaper than most other antiviruses.

Sense i use the builtin active armor that comes with my NF4 chipset i do not need the firewall part of this program.

Found the first thing i do not like.The scheduler must be loaded to get any updates at all.I always do manual updates and cut this off on other antiviruses.Just another process running that does not need to run.

I got my wifes vista down to 44 processes running from 78.It a pain messing with vista and cutting processes off.Feels more snappy

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  13. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

This difference in the classic version is the lack of adware/spyware , the lack of a mail scanner (but that's not really needed), less reliable download servers, lack of user-defined update intervals, and scan function for selected directories

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

You can set under Administrative Tools-> Services-> Antivir guard-> Recovery to restart the service at the first and second failure. ;)

15. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

If you read IBK's last retrospective/proactive test and not the second to the last, you will see that it had exactly the same number of false positives as NOD32 and Avast.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

once again, a quote towards tests...... how about the tried and tested method? ;)

17. Johnny123

Is four years without a false positive tried and tested enough?

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

for you, maybe..... but AV's are not made for ONE PERSON. ;)

but its getting better, but id never use avira on any machine i have, i just dont like it.

19. BrainWarp

Well my bad news for antivir is that it seems to cause a slight studer in games.That really sux.Too much aggravation to remember and cut it down or off before i play an on line game.Too good to be true i guess--damn

So far f-prot 6 and dr web work flawlesly in games.

20. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

How do you figure that it isn't needed? If you are using webmail, then it isn't needed. If thats what you meant, you might want to qualify your statement next time, instead of just making a general claim. If thats not what you meant, than what are you talking about?

21. Johnny123

Well, I'm disappointed that they're not working exclusively for me. After all, I pay 20 euros a year.

Actually I could care less whether you like it, hate it, overwrite it with zeros or whatever. I don't own stock in Avira nor do I get paid by them to spam forums and advertise AntiVir. My original post just pointed out that a lot of people talk about false positives based on IBK's second to last test and this appears to have been corrected. Also leaving heuristics on default helps as well. Nothing more than that, I'm not an antivirus groupie and I'm not really interested in a "mine's better than yours" type of discussion. Use what you like and if you're happy then that's wonderful.

22. one111

one111 Registered Member

I've been using Avira Premium for a number of months now and am very satisfied. It runs light on my computer and despite what some say, I have only had one FP in all this time. The scan is rapid and thorough, the heuristics are good as well as unpacking. It's detection rates are among the best around and
    I feel secure with it running (I still don't take chances and surf safely).

Among all the AV's I've used over the years (Kaspersky, Norton, Nod32) Avira runs the smoothest on my computer and the least problematic.

23. waters

waters Registered Member

I use the free version and have only had a i false positive.I would use it and not dr web

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

whats this gotta do with DrWeb, i slag the software off and dr.web gets attacked, *lol*

you guys are pathetic.

25. BrainWarp

Dr .web is a great program.but i hate it scored so low on the av test.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.