Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Premium 20% off

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by farmerlee, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

2. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Makes others look expensive but I'm on the six month free trial - even cheaper!

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That link is no good.

4. gyl

gyl Registered Member

this link is good for me and in french language thanks!:thumb:

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Works here.

6. Mapson

Mapson Registered Member

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

My problem was the Proxomitron. It doesn't do SSL so I don't think it was causing the problem. Proxo should have just been bypassed automatically since the link was to a secure page, but evidently it wasn't and was causing that error to appear instead of the page. I manually bypassed Proxo just now and got the https page just fine.

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That is not true. I am using proxo, and the link in working just fine for me. It depends on what filterset you're using. I'm using Sidki's, and if that is the case with you make sure you have the "Half SSL" filter activated under the web page filters as well as the "Use Half SSL" filter activated under headers.

9. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

works, but who needs it with six monthes?

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It is a one year subscription.

Attached Files:

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Expensive, $14 for an AV to purchase is cheap... ;)

12. computer geek

I know, but six months is a pretty long period and i would use that before buying this, saves you money.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So you are using Sidki's SSL filters then. I don't want to use SSL with Proxo. Proxo should have bypassed (passed through) automatically for any SSL site. That is how Scott had Proxo set up originally. I use Sidki's filters and the SSL ones should be null and void whether checked or not because I'm not using Proxo for SSL. I do not have SSLeay/OpenSSL libraries so Proxo cannot do SSL. Proxo is supposed to use "pass through" with or without bypassing for any secure site. It does this for most secure sites I visit. For this link though it is not working properly because I can't even visit using bypass. If I check both the filters you mentioned then I can get to the site without bypassing Proxo and that should not be happening! I have to go post in Sidki's forum. I have no idea how those two filters are working when I deliberately have no SSLeay/OpenSSL libraries! Maybe those filters simply enable pass through if you don't have the SSLeay libraries? But I should be able to uncheck those filters and passthrough would be automatic and it is not ...it isn't even working when I manually bypass.

14. computer geek

DOes not work ere!

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The six month links are no more for those who are not subscribers to the magazines which offer them. Avira has announced that they are taking steps to stop what has been going on here and at other sites with persons who are not subscribers to the magazine making the offer getting it anyway. Until Avira is able to fix this they have asked that no one post these links in the future.

So, if you have a six month free trial...enjoy it but if it is about up and you were thinking another six month one would come along...think again. You would be wise to buy Avira at this nice discount instead.

16. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Note: The link is dead.

17. rogervernon

Why would you take notice of their request - all's fair in getting freebies. If they can't control it that's their tough cheese!

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

+1 :thumb:

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Lovely attitude you have. :(

The question is moot for this site and most other ETHICAL sites. The threads here with these links have already been removed. Haven't you noticed?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198410

Perhaps you would like to review Wilders policy on this?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=53972

The threads were allowed here because neither the magazines nor Avira complained and AVira hosted the downloads not some third party site. Plus, the same links were posted by users and MODs at the Avira forum so it appeared this was ok with Avira. Now, possibly partly due to my asking for clarification about this from Avira, they have decided to put a stop to this practice. The announcement was made by a Mod in the Avira forum. All links posted there both by users and Mods are being removed.

http://forum.avira.com/thread.php?postid=296319#post296319

I got a free 6 month trial this way here and have myself posted the links for others both here, at my home site, and at Avira forums and it was great while it lasted but it is over now. I posted the links mostly because Avira doesn't have a real trial for Premium or Suite that is not crippleware. You have to go through hoops to get a trial key so you can get updates. That is stupid and backward and I won't be recommending Avira until they fix this. I am expecting them to put up a 30 day trial with key on their website for home users. They already have this for corporate users. Perhaps, they will make the Suite a 60 day trial. Perhaps, they will run promotions in different countries, etc.

20. computer geek

at the time i posted that, the offer was on and now it has stopped. so i had no way of knowing this was to happen. :blink:

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, I understand that and I was not directing my latest remarks at you in case you thought that.

22. rogervernon

Ethics is a county on the east coast of England! :D :D :D

Is there anyone here who has NOT used a P2P program? Only if you have not, can you post about ethics with a straight face.

23. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

I guess it says nothing that there is legitimate software and non-illegal files which are downloaded using a P2P application, such as Comixwall?

24. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Free trials are a double-edged sword.

I did try the Avira Free version and was irritated by updating problems and other glitches.

Later I tried a 6 month trial of Avira Premium from one of these now-banned links I found at Wilders. I found it to be a trouble-free experience and there was enough of an improvement over Avira Free that I actually purchased Avira Premium for 3 PCs and have had a solid experience. So if I did something wrong by using these links Avira ultimately benefited from my business.

So Avira is being a bit hypocritical. They want targeted people to try their product but they haven't put in place better mechanisms to do so.

From Avira's point of view I accept they have a fairness problem. People who paid for their product are upset that others are getting the product for free. I understand that but I think it is a problem for Avira to solve.

I think they should continue free trials for Avira Premium but limit it to 2-3 months and make sure they are no overlapping or consecutive offers. That will allow people to sample the Avira Premium experience but not allow people to go from trial to trial without ever needing to pay for the product.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think that is a very good suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.