Avira Antivir Personal malware detection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vickie, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickie

vickie Registered Member

I am just checking the Events log which shows a warning - Detection - malware found virus or unwanted program HTML/infected webpage [virus] detected....etc
    It shows "Action performed: Allow access". Now why would Avira allow this 'virus/malware' access to my pc? I would like to set all detections to "Deny access". Can someone here please advise me how I may do this? Avira Help file does not specify a way to do so. Thanks for any help.

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

What settings do you have right now for handling detections?

3. vickie

vickie Registered Member

I have it set to Automatic - Quarantine.

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It reads like its a webguard detection. What settings do you have for the webguard? The Webguard gives a choice of: deny access - isolate - ignore. The safest route is to "deny access"...:) Right click the Avira taskbar icon and click configure. Click "expert mode" in the upper left corner, click on webguard then double click on scan settings. Click "action on detection" then select "deny access". Be sure to click apply at the bottom when you are done...that should do it...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

This is a badly worded phrase; what it means is that the module in question (webguard/guard) has allowed the scanner access to the file. Might be a translation issue.

6. vickie

vickie Registered Member

Mongol: Many thanks for ur reply. Webguard - scan - action on detection...I do not see a setting for "deny access". In 'action on detection' it shows the following already checked (probably by default (??): "use event log; block autostart; exclude cd's & dvd's". How then can I enable "deny access" if its not in Expert Mode/Webguard?

King Grub: I'm afraid I do not quite understand your reply. Perhaps you could go into a little more details? Thank you.

7. King Grub

When the guard or webguard detects malware, it allows the Avira virus scanner access to the malware. It doesn't allow the malware access to anything.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

When you click expert mode be sure to go down the menu to webguard and highlight it, then click scan in the drop down menu then click "Action on detection" you should see a choice of interactive or automatic. If you click automatic it will give you a choice to deny access, isolate or ignore. What you are describing shows up on my display under Guard / scan / further actions...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. vickie

vickie Registered Member

Then why is some of these viruses/trojans marked as "allow access" and some are "deny access". This is why I am very unsure of whether "deny access" means it is denied access to my pc...or "allow access" means it is allowed access to my pc.

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

If you set the webguard to deny access it will be denied.

11. vickie

vickie Registered Member

My Avira version is 10.0.0.567 (free personal). Expert mode - Scanner - action on detection - is set to 'automatic' with Primary action as: Quarantine. It shows no choices to deny access, isolate or ignore.

Guard - scan - action on detection - shows only (Event Log).. by default enabled as: "use event log"; (Automatic start) is by default enabled as: "block automatic start function. exclude cd's and dvds". There is no choice of interactive or automatic.

So as you can gather there is no choice for me to 'deny access, ignore or isolate'. What is very perplexing also, is why does Avira "allow access" to some of these virus/trojans and then "deny access" to others, as the Report logs show. I am now very confused as to whether "allow access" means they are allowed and now residing in my pc, and those that are "deny access" are not allowed. Are other users having this same confusion?
    Thanks Mongol for your kind advice, but as you can see I am still at a loss how I may "deny access" as I have no choices other than those I have mentioned here. Does this mean then that my Antivir version is somehow
    corrupted? I have no trouble whatsoever getting the latest updates with my current version. Any further input will be very much appreciated.

12. vickie

vickie Registered Member

BTW, Mongol, your quote: "What you are describing shows up on my display under Guard / scan / further actions..." Under Guard/ scan/ it shows no such choice "further actions" - only what I have described in my posts.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I have the Premium Version which evidently allows for more fine tuning to all the Guards. Someone who uses the free version may pop up in here or a possible option would be to maybe go to Avira's Support Forum which I check frequently. It is at link: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php

14. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

@vickie

Avira Personal does not have WebGuard...

Did you install the ProActive module?

15. King Grub

And that is why Guard allows the scanner access to the malware, after it has been detected.

The whole thread seems to be about a non-issue, caused by poor translation in the program.

16. deguo

deguo Registered Member

I had exactly the same problem as OP:
    I saw(by chance) in an event log that the Guard had found malware (a trojan) - I had not seen any notfication of this detection.

And the Guard wrote: "Action performed: Allow access"

I did not find any way to modify settings so that in the future access would be denied.
    I did find an explanation, though, saying that the Guard would write an event log so that (after the intrusion?) the administrator (if he happens to read the eventlog) "can decide what to do".

I find it hard to believe that Avira welcomes malware to my computer, but "Action performed: Allow access" leaves not much room for misunderstanding.

I tried to find out, whether the paid version of Antivir works differently, but I could not find anything.

So I immediately uninstalled Avira and installed ESET Smart Security.

BTW this topic is discussed in Avira's support forum, but I am not allowed to post there.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=113714

17. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

As noted in the Avira Forum. It's just bad translation. it is allowed access for the guard then the file is quarantined, really bad wording...

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You have no evidence your computer was infected. Avira is one of the best in terms of detection and denying access, I find it hard to believe that someone could change an antivirus under these circumstances; Anyway you've got nothing to lose with the free version of Avira, and a license to buy with Eset.

19. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

If you use Avira Personal then it is not a complete solution for you. Surely you must have a firewall that can create a layer security for you and a 3rd party security app for your counterchecking...

I also want to correct my earlier post about ProActive...Avira Personal does not have it also.

I am using the Premium version with Webguard/Mailguard and there were evidences I posted a the Avira forums of malware breaching it. It took my firewall back then (OA Premium) to alert and catch the malware.

Antivir is good. It's detection rate is one of the best and among the top 5 always. But I think you need a better layered protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.