Avira AntiVir: Excluding Game Directories

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DaveD, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I have been a long time avast! user and have recently switched to AntiVir after the most recent AV-Comparatives. I have been absolutely blown away by how much more I like AntiVir considering functionality and so on. But anyways...

I play several 3D games and would prefer that the directories (and sub-directories) that contain game data files be excluded from the real-time Guard scanning. I certainly don't mind scanning those directories with typical on-demand scans, but not real-time. I would prefer to simply exclude these folders as opposed to just temporarily disabling Guard. I realize that antivirus programs can be run while playing games with minimal affects on performance, but I would prefer that extra bit of performance even if barely noticeable.

Within the AntiVir configurations I went to the Exception section within the options for Guard. In the bottom section labeled "File objects to be omitted for the Guard" I added the directories for the games that I play. Calling it "File objects..." was a little bit misleading because it made me think that I couldn't select folders, but reading the Help file stated that folders could be selected as well.

As for my question...

Will AntiVir's Guard now completely exclude those game directories (including sub-directories) and not scan game data while playing these games?

Would I also have to add the running processes for those games to the Processes exclusion list in the section above or would that already be taken care of by already excluding the directories?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Excluding the game directories will work as you intended.

If the game process only access files within those directories, you don't need to exclude the process aswell. On the other hand, if you exclude the main .exe from the game in the process list, you won't need to exclude the directories.
    Checking the process list is faster for the Guard, I think.

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I appreciate the quick response. Now that was a fast reply. You deserve a raise!

Now let's assume that I have excluded the main .exe from the game in the process list and not the directories at all (as you had suggested as an alternative)...

That main .exe from the game would still be constantly accessing the game's data directories anyways to load sounds, textures, videos, etc. while playing the game.

Wouldn't Guard still scan all of that data being accessed in this case?

I would prefer that it scans no game data at all, and if excluding the directories is the best option in this case then that is what I would prefer to do. Keep in mind that I have played a few games with Guard running with no exclusions a few times and had no problems or slowdowns whatsoever. It is just that, in theory, the game should perform better without data being scanned on-the-fly like that whether it is noticeable or not.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and responses.

4. FRug

FRug Registered Member

If you exclude the game process, the guard will not check any file operations of that process. So whatever the game does, antivir won't check it.

5. DaveD

DaveD Guest

As suggested, I gave it a try with only the processes excluded and it worked like a charm. Thanks to both of you for your replies.

------------
    | OFF TOPIC |
    ------------

I have only started using AntiVir just recently. Following the free AV's over the years I never really got into AntiVir. However, I remember several years back when the free AntiVir was just a self-extracting, stand-alone scanner but yet still had the same definitions as the premium.

Since then I can tell that AntiVir has come a long way when it comes to detections rates, functionality, professionalism, and popularity. I am extremely impressed.

But... there is only 1 problem. Just one.

Avira AntiVir seriously needs to change the name of there on-demand scanner to anything... anything to lose the whole Luke Filewalker thing. It was called that back when it was just a stand-alone scanner from what I can remember. The final product as we see it today is a very professional program with the exception of the Luke Filewalker name. It just sounds incredibly cheesy and unprofessional to me. Name it anything other then that. PLEASE... :)

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

What's the matter? You are not a Star Wars fan? :D I am waiting for the Darth Virus to show up eventually. :p

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree, if this comes out in their security suite, it is ashame. I know the reason for it, but it takes away from the professional degree they are trying to display in their product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.