Avira Antivir detected something that nothing else did....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chrome_sturmen, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I have been using nod32 antivirus for quite some time, but today due to boredom more than anything else, i decided to try avira antivir, as i've heard good things about it. Tonight, some hours after i installed it, it gave a prompt that adware was on my system, namely the file "ADSPY/MyWebSearch.241664". I immediately checked the folder that contained this file, and it's name was "askpbar" and had been there since may 12th. this means that neither nod32, nor the avg antispyware that runs as a second defense line, detected it- but avira antivir did. also, note that i have both adaware and spybot scheduled to run each morning at 6 am, and obviously neither of those two detected this malware either. i am impressed with avira antivir ;)

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

could be a false positive. try uploading the file to virus total or jotti's malware scanner.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexx.html

3. chrome_sturmen

nah, when i looked in the folder, i could tell it was some crapware that didnt belong, i watch over the folders in my c: directory pretty closely usually- i dont need some half ass adware file called "mywebsearch" - i use custom search engines that i built directly into opera ( which consequnetly is a cool thing, it makes it easy to compare search engine results, because once you enter your search term, you can click the drop down box of your predefined search engines and search each one with a single click):D

4. ethan_arends

ethan_arends Registered Member

A false positive with this name? I doubt. Even the name of the folder it's strange.
    In time you will be more surprise with Avira...in good sense i mean.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

it maybe parT of ask.com's toolbar. not sure though.

http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRFDFA37353649/AskPBar.html

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed.

7. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Yes, it is: http://www.castlecops.com/modules.php?name=CLSID&query=askpbar

Although ask.com software comes bundled with a number of dubious applications, it can't in itself really be considered 'proper' malware, and therefore NOD32 and others cannot honestly be faulted for not targeting it...

8. chrome_sturmen

well i dont recall being asked if i wanted "ask", so to that end, im glad avira detected it, after which i promptly obliterated it :thumb:

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Maybe it was bundled with another software you installed? For Example, CCleaner has the option to allow users to install/not install Yahoo! toolbar during the installation of CCleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.