avira and squared are compatible right?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wutsup, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

right now im using threatfire, with avira and asquared free 1 year subscription from that november deal.,

i was just wondering if avira personal and asquared are compatible cause isnt asquared an antivirus? or anti malware in general?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wutsup, according to the Emsisoft Products page, a-squared is an:
    Note: Let's keep this thread focused on the compatibility of Avira and a-squared only. Do not let it go off topic.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Referring to what JRViejo posted, I would say you should not test or run them at the same time - choose what you think suits you best.

Cheers!

4. s23

s23 Registered Member

I suggest to you use only A-squared. It have a behaviour blocker too (mamutu). If you wanna you can put avira as a on-demand scanner. But the 3 in real time, is not a good idea.

take care

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've used Avira as the primary AV (real-time scanner active) and A-Squared as an on-demand scanner with no problems.
    I've also reversed the two and also had no problem.
    Either way, they also seem to work properly if you are using Prevx with real-time scanning on, but with a slight impact on overall scanning speed.

In my experience, as long as you have only one of them employing their real-time scanner, they both also co-exist with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, but I did see a mild system slowdown if I had either Avira or A-Squared using real-time scanning along with active real-time scanning from either Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

Because my 4+ year old system uses a Pentium 4 processor, it's more susceptible to a slow down under these circumstances versus a multi-core CPU.

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

My experience is the same. And, as Raven told, it's not a good idea to run two avs in real time. They can enter in conflict or limit reciprocally the efficacy of their scan.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I would stick with a-squared since it will be getting the real time scanning. Hopefully version 5 will be out soon. I don't know how avira's pro-active will compare to a-squared behavior blocker though.

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

At present A2 is an on-execution AV rather than on-access therefore you can run it alongside Avira.However I'd recommend setting Avira to scan only when writing files to avoid both checking the same files upon execution.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Thats what I meant by real time scan. It will be coming out with a "on-access" scan shortly. It also has the behavior blocking and surf protection.

10. andyman35

Yes quite right version 5 will have an on-access option negating any need for another AV alongside it.

11. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ok thx for replying guys, but i have a 64 bit O/S so surf protection and mamutu are disabled, even though andy said to turn avira to write only, can i just leave it on read and write without any conflict witth asquared's on execution?

12. andyman35

I'd not advise you to to that since there's a possibility for issues to arise with both AVs attempting to take ownership of the executable simultaneously.Maybe there won't be any conflicts but running them together in this way is unnecessary.

13. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Yes definitely be careful, even on x64 the on execution scanning still works, and make sure your a squared is not set to receive beta updates because the new beta will be released this week to the public and it does have on access scanning so their could definitely be some conflicts their. If you have a license to a^2 I would just use it alone when the new version gets out, it has x64 support.

14. andyman35

I agree.
    Once version 5 arrives with full real-time capabilities then there's no need for another AV.The only reason I've advocated it with the current version is to cover the gaps in A2 protection,ie.you could download a file,copy it to a usb key then pass it on to someone else without it being automatically scanned.

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i wuldnt really consider it a "gap" i like it being on-execution because its less system intensive and will equally protect u from infection, i have no problem with doing 2 clicks to scan a file i want to send to someone...

16. andyman35

Well I'm thinking more of the ordinary user that might well forget to manually scan each file and end up propagating malware by mistake.

17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If you are using Avira, why would you need to use a-squared as well?

And vice versa.

They are both AV's.

18. andyman35

A2AM has the Mamutu BB component and if you're using Avira free without a webguard,bad website blocker which offer added protection.With version 5 of A2AM and Avira 10 there'll be no need really.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.