Avira 9 v Avira 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CloneRanger, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

No it's NOT an a v b thread

I've decided to stay with v9 due to v10 having some issues. So i was wondering how many of you have done the same, or reverted back to v9 for now ?

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I have Avira Premium on one of my computers, and I removed version 10 pretty quickly after it was released and I got the update. It felt sluggish, had a few annoying bugs, and was, all in all, a step down. A few engine updates later, and a series of bugfixes, and I have installed version 10 again, and now it's just as smooth and nice as version 9 was.

3. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Registered Member

The one thing I really don't like about Avira 10 is the amount of processes that appear in task manager when you run a scan, dllhost.exe, msdtc.exe, vssvc.exe.

I have no idea why they appear and remain after a scan as they are not Avira processes, but for some reason running an Avira 10 scan seems to initiate them.
    Tends to give it a slightly bloated feeling, give me version 9 any day...though support is I think due to end in September?

4. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

I removed 10 Premium weeks ago and won't put it back on until a post .603 release arrives. It caused timeout problems resuming from sleep and the guardgui would crap out.

I've been using NAV 2010 ever since and, if it provides as good detection, it is just as light or lighter than Avira.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

anyone have a 3 user license they are looking to trade, err, get rid of.

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Trading :eek:

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I had problems with the 'ProActiv' module with version 10. I have uninstalled it, and V10 works very well, lighter than V9 and at least as effective, except that when it detects something it also cleans up thoroughly. It detected and cleaned 7 viruses on a flash drive of a person who didn't know it was infected.

I only use the main guard: mail guard, web guard are always disabled to keep the program light. IMO there's no point at this stage to stay with V9.

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Avira v10 has better Web Guard which solved problems of many users having internet slow downs(in v9). And another feature is proActive module which is still a problem in v10:cautious:

In terms of resource usage I didn't felt any slow downs in either of the two and didn't feel any difference in memory usage too:)

9. bollity

bollity Registered Member

i'm using the free version 10.i think 10 have better detection engine than 9.
    also it do a little scan after malware detection.it also have a feature to stop usb autorun.the only bad thing is the auto update that do not work for me. i go to scheduler and make a new update job manually.

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The only problem I had was that I couldn't install v 10 after v. 9 uninstallation: version 10 freezed after the first reboot. So I restored an old disk image without Avira and now v. 10 runs perfectly, no problem.

11. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

The Proactive module was a screw up but after I got rid of that A-10 has worked excellent.

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I have installed AVIRA 10 free on a very old computer running 768 Mb RAM and 0.98 Ghz processor and it feels a bit sluggish (more than version 9) . I have reinstalled a few times with version 9 but I don't want to keep the old version just because it is old and the new one is supposed to be better.

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Looks like it depends on numerous different factors as to whether V10 fits all yet. So i'm still going to hold off as long as possible.

Thanks for your input :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.