Avira 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darts

darts Registered Member

Does anyone knows here when the 2013 version of Avira will be released??
    I thought it with be in the end off September.

2. wert33

wert33 Registered Member

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

The current beta build is actually still being heavily tested so there ain't a definite date of releasing yet ;)

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Any knews on the public beta?

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

As shown here http://www.avira.com/en/avira-premium-early-bird there are two new components that I find interesting:
    Website Safety Advisor
    Protection Cloud

Unfortunately I suspect the cloud will only be available in the premium version. As to the Safety Advisor there's already WOT.

But then again... maybe it's better to keep it simple and light; there are enough bloated AVs around.

7. SbUniT

SbUniT Registered Member

cool...

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

2013 is really doing well.:thumb:

9. malexous

malexous Registered Member

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I dont blame them. There has to be some difference in the paid and free andf this is a perfect example. The paid gets even better for the money, but yet the free, is still a great product.

11. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

We were told it will be released on the 25th of September, but that might have been the wrong info.

12. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Good to hear! Your true love!:thumb:

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i heard this week ... not sure exact day but supposed to be very soon. i hope so because im hoping the new version doesnt cause the 2 issues ive been having one is a bsod on sleep the other is a bsod when convertxtodvd is installed not sure why yet after a short while it bsods out without convertxtodvd all is fine on that system, the other has a bsod on resume from sleep.

14. chriswiles

Just been told the 2013 range will be out Thursday, unless there are any issues between now and then.

Received a press pack this morning with a huge PDF document detailing the 2013 changes, differences between the products etc. Loving the improved user-interface. It's what it should be. Simple, clear and easy to understand.

There's a new Plus, but it seems to offer little more than "system speedup" according to this document.

The new cloud protection isn't in the basic Free product.

15. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up.

16. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Isn't the interface the same as the 2012?, or atleast it was in the beta.

17. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

28.9.2012 is the currently release day. The Avira Protection Cloud will be only in the Premium and Internet Security versions for now. We will try to get the APC into the free eventually, that is still a long way to go.

Keep in mind this is our very first initial version of the cloud. It was a lot of hard work but it is still a long way from what we want to have. More detection features using the cloud will come with service packs.

18. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Good to know.
    But... why jumping from a private Beta to a full release? (I presume that's what you're talking about).
    I just hope this is not V10 all over again.
    Anyway... let's wait for the 28th of September.

19. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

I HOPE that we dont have to download the 2013 version from the website BUT it will come with an UPGRADE/UPDATE from the old version 2012, why ?
    Because first my sister don't know how to download or how to install, all she says is i have an antivirus and i am protected,

Thats why it's good if you could upgrade it automaticaly, because there is ALOT of people who don't want to spend time or don't know how to download and upgrade.

So my question is will there be an upgrade to the version 2013 from the update or not ?

20. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

In fact, it is a good question.
    Will the 2013 installer uninstall properly other versions?

Or, better put, will the uninstaller work as it should?

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

running the internet security beta now and it seems a good amount heavier than 2012 did. using a decent amount more ram also over 100mb for me and cpu is running high / laptop fan running much more often...browsing seems a good amount slower also (i know its beta though)

overall if this is to be the released interface then its basically the same.

if i can ask stephan would there be any chance to remove unused items from the gui. like parental controls and social networking / android stuff i do not use and one of the things that bugs me big time with some other av's like avg for instance is that the "extras" are always sitting there in the gui and its just annoying. would there be able to be a way to simply deselct them from showing (they could still be there just not to show up on the gui) also the parental controls PLEASE make that so its not red if you are not using it. i just know ill be getting calls on that (new with avira and recc'ing it to customers) with them seeing the big red box. if its turned off by the user why does it need to show up as a big red switch on the front of the gui? was the same for 2012 but i had hoped for a updated gui.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree Z, I was not impressed at all with it.New releases of products mean nothing anymore. A few minor changes and it is considered a new relelase.

But Avira 2013 is a big disappointment.

23. chriswiles

Well, I've not tested the beta, nor did I take too much notice of the 2012 launch, but the 2013 press pack looked promising. The UI comes across as very professional and clean, to me. Was impressed. Sometimes changing something that's well designed, isn't a necessity. I'm not a big fan of the change to Windows 8 "Metro" UIs for the sake of it, for example.

We'll take a closer look on release though. I'll get Mike to review it. I hope the final version is not too heavy on resources.

24. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I find that a strange comment to make considering your an MSE user.
    I dont see any improvements in that product and MSE detection has been very poor recently.I would say avira is superior to MSE in this and most other categories.:thumb: :thumb: :ninja: :ninja:

25. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

At Avira's forums there's a link called "Avira 2013 - Sneak Preview".
    At Avira's Facebook page we find a similar link.
    Both will produce warnings.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.