Avira 12 Installation scan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

When installing Avira 12 Premium two files were deleted after a restore point was created by Avira. They are WrtMon.exe and WrtProc.exe. I did some research and both are associated wit Canon printers and or Presto Page manager. I don't have a Canon printer but i do have Presto Page Manager which came with my Epson 810 printer. Do these files recreate themselves when needed or should I restore from the restore point?

2. The Hammer

Restored files from restore point.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Dang that's a pain. Did you report it as fp?

How is the new version running for you? Feel free to PM if you want since Avira is normally a hot topic here on Wilders.

Cheers.

4. COMPYPY

COMPYPY Registered Member

Have tried it for few days,I will say that nothing special about new version except new look (which is not much impressive). Its old avira suite with good detection and light on system but now loosing its light av tag to avast/norton which i feel more lighter than avira

5. Trooper

That is very unfortunate to hear.

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Same results from me ... and the installation is a pain for many...not to mentioned the dreaded toolbar

7. The Hammer

Both files have been confirmed as belonging to Presto Page manager on the forum. But I'm really sorry (not) to have to rain on the parade of those who want to be negative about Avira ( I'm not including you Trooper) but my system is much more responsive than it was with version 10, which was good already. I just wish that they didn't include all of the visual elements of the suite in the Premium interface.

8. The Hammer

I have to disagree.

9. Trooper

Thanks for the reply The Hammer. I hope that some of the issues like installation problems etc get sorted out soon by them. I had an issue with the beta but subsequent updates took care of that issue.

Keep us posted with your results.

Cheers!

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Are you talking about the scan just before installing Avira (about possible conflicts) or the one right after (quick scan for malware)?

For people having installation problems and definitively wanting to remain with Avira they ought to uninstall any other security, install Avira, and then re-install the other security. This has worked very well with me, and I'm pleased to confirm that Avira is very fast (even with the web guard and ProActiv on) and light compared to version 10.

11. Trooper

I may give it a go on my mother in laws laptop. It currently has Avast. So do a complete uninstall, install Avira, and then hopefully good to go?

Any special things to look out for?

I'm happy to hear its light. I noticed that as well when I was testing the beta.

Cheers.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm only reporting what has worked on my machine. Avira detected Look'n'Stop as a possible conflict, I therefore uninstalled it, then the the installation got stuck with loading components modules... I had to restore an image. This time Sandboxie was the reason. After uninstalling Sandboxie (and Look'n'Stop) Avira 12 installed very quickly.

I have since re-installed Look'n'Stop successfully, and I'm about to re-install Sandboxie (although I'm taking my time as I realize Sandboxie was not as trouble free as Shadow Defender, but this is another story).

When uninstalling I was careful to clean up leftovers in the registry, and if I were you I would try to clean up after uninstalling Avast

13. The Hammer

I'm talking about the quick scan for malware which is performed right after installation.

14. Trooper

Thanks for your reply. Do you use any registry cleaners to take away any leftovers or are you doing it manually?

Yeah careful with Sandboxie. WSA is flagging it as malware. I reported it as a false positive to Webroot though so we'll see how quickly it gets sorted.

Cheers!

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are welcome. For Avira I use its dedicated 'Avira RegistryCleaner', I don't know if Avast has one, otherwise I use 'j16 Power tools 2010' manually choosing the entries to delete (making sure to back them up first), sometimes drivers might be involved but that was not my case.

I'd like to add to my previous post that once Avira is installed and one has re-installed other applications I would make sure to exclude anything that might affect or be affected by Avira in the 'PC protection>Realtime Protection>Scan>Exception' both processes and objects. Same exclusion in 'PC protection>Realtime Protection>ProActiv>Application filter>Allowed' setting application type for 'contents'. I don't know whether it is really necessary, but I do it.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is a very clever solution for possible FPs although System Restore is always off on my machine as I rely on system images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.