Avira 12 Free Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I could be wrong but I dont see much changes fron V10.Looks like small cosmetic changes with a little paint and polish.

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@djohn
    Indeed, not many changes for the free version.

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Just installed on my frnds pc ... was stuck on installation for way too long .. than after nearly two minutes the setup resumed

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

do you still need the toolbar for the web scanner?

could someone post screenshot please :) thank you

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Brocke
    Yes as I recall from my brief look the toolbar was still needed to gain the web scanner.

8. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

9. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Yup it is still needed (i skiped). If you choose to install it anyway: Will webscanner will be active in Chrome but without toolbar? If so, then I dont care about the toolbar.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  10. JoeBlack40

Yes you do.After i installed the toolbar-webguard i noticed that IE wont start and Chrome was behaving strange in SBIE.And the browsing was visibly slowed down.So,uninstalled the webguard,i was just curios about it,that's all.I don't need it as i sandbox my browsers.

Same here,installed on top of the old version and the whole process took a little while and it was sluggish.I've had to reboot twice after i uninstalled the toolbar.I think that a clean uninstall of the old version is far more better than an on top install.

Attached Files:

11. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

Better to download separately and upgrade or do it in-product (assuming it's available yet in the latter)?

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

thanks for the screenshot joe.

man i hate the fact that they are showing the Paid items. Avast has it right. dont show what you dont get.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, yes and no. I agree that interface looks cleaner and all but users generally have no idea what they are missing (looking from sales perspective and from perspective of user, possibly wanting more but is unsure).
    You have to actually test the trial version to see what you can get in paid version. If i'm honest this requires special attention and finding a good balance for both sides, developer and user. Which can be very difficult sometimes...

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Won't install in XP unless SP-3 is already installed.
    I don't want or need SP-3; for me it represents bloatware.
    -so-
    I'll just do without Avira 12.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Bloatware this, bloatware that. Everything is bloatware. I don't know where you got the illusion that SP3 is in any way bloated. It brought the least new features out of all SP packs. It's pretty much only kernel and bugfix update package so not installing it is rather stupid decision.

On the other note, i like the 2012 version. There are indeed controls for missing features but the interface is still clean, fast and easy to navigate even in expert mode. Update was smooth even though servers must be crowded right now on launch. Scanner is also very fast and by quickly checking the zero day stuff, detection is also very good as always. They could check for updates more often than just 1x per day but oh well...

16. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I must be stupid too then, as i havn't installed SP3 on XP :p

17. JoeBlack40

Oh,and another thing.The Avira's 2012 installer warned me about the fact that i have Comodo Antivirus and Comodo Firewall installed.(i have only the FW part,of course) and i have to uninstall them.Thanks God that the option was "manually",because if it wasn't this way and Avira forced me to uninstall Comodo...bye bye,ciao Avira. :isay:

You're welcome.

18. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

I don't believe in a placebo effect type, but after the update to this version (12) my system is a lot faster.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It is fast. It felt very fast even inside VM. I also forgot to mention that i totally love the new tray icon with soft smooth edges. Looks really nice.

20. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Hello!

Sorry to leave a little of topic, is that I only have three issues and I believe does not need to create a new thread just for this.

1. Avira now offers full support for x64? I remember that before the heuristic did not work on x64 systems, this still occurs?

2. Is possible to use the key of the Premium Security Suite in the new version Internet Security 2012?

3. Is possible to use the key of the Internet Security 2012 version in the Premium version 2012?

Sorry for my english!

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

21. gregd

gregd Registered Member

I was able to use my Antivirus Premium key from Vers. 10 in the new 2012 version.

22. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I uninstalled Avira a few weeks ago. I couldn't stop it from scanning at startup, plus it would not update automatically either. It would also hang on 'explorer.exe'. Apart from that I was very impressed! :)

I really like Avira and even though I am getting more sophisticated in my security measures, it is my first choice amongst AVs. It is light, fast, effective and great at removal too (imho). I probably should have installed it again, but I had actually uninstalled with Revo a little while earlier for another problem - so I don't know what was going on. It's all a trade-off and I have been learning other methods to protect my PC - I knew another version was supposed to be coming along soon, so I thought I would wait till then.

And here we are - glad the new version is here to try out.

It seems to work just fine when I install it on other people's PCs. So I can't wait to give it another blast...

As for WinXP SP3, if I may:
    I do Audio stuff and XP is still pretty much where it's at, although a lot of people are very happy with Win7 and it is gaining ground quickly. These days, there is a lot of audio stuff that requires SP3. I was a bit of a Luddite myself and had been using SP2 for ages. It is supposed to be faster - I don't know - I didn't measure it, but it is certainly not slower.

Anyway, back to Avira, I was quite happy with the way it was (when it was working properly), so as long as these issues are fixed for me, then I am happy. It is free after all. I'll let you know how I get on, if I run into any problems.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

strange that the devs did not remove the options for the modules that could not be installed or did not get installed, they just grayed them out (ie firewall, backup, etc).

24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Im surprised that this was not addressed. This happened to me three times when the beta first dropped. Reported it and was told it could not be replicated. :thumbd:

Like I said last night, I feel there was still more testing to do. Not sure why they decided to pull it out of beta so quickly.

25. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Does Avira have an exclusions settings where one can tell the AV to not peek at a particular file or folder or drive when scanning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.