Avira 10 free and Eicar test, all ok?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jarmo P, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Might all be well with my Avira install?

From http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm I click the first eicar.com and respond to save the file. and then popups both Firefox download finish and Avira virus found popup on the lower right corner of the screen.

I press Remove. Then I go to View/Overview/Events on AV's main window.

The first event is Detection Guard: Virus or unwanted program 'Eicar-Test-Signature [virus]'
    detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Omat tiedostot\Lataukset\eicar(2).com.
    Action performed: Allow access

Second event is Information Scanner: Scan ended [The scan has been done completely.].
    Number of files: 38
    Number of folders: 0
    Number of malware: 1
    Number of errors: 0

And the third is Detection Scanner: The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Jarmo\Omat tiedostot\Lataukset\eicar(2).com'
    contained a virus or unwanted program 'Eicar-Test-Signature' [virus]
    Action(s) taken:
    The file was moved to the quarantine directory under the name '4dc3e3e8.qua'.

So the guard allows access at first? But the popup tells that 'Access to this file is denied.'

This interface has changed to me quite drastic, with the option of doing anything else than move to the quarantine being quite hard to choose or even find. This is the safest option so no complaints in that.
    But did the version 9th allow the popup on the middle of the screen?

I still don't have any audio feedback.

Jarmo

2. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Sounds logical. Access to the file is denied but if you want to remove the file, it is necessary that access to the file become allowed (for Avira)?

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Well, I am not sure that is what I was expecting. Would be more reassuring as an event to see the Guard has denied access. Surprising also that no one else has confirmed my observation, if you did that Zimzi?

My install went like this:

I saw a few days this popup on bottom right appear telling that the new version is available. So I went to a download site through that popup and downloaded the file. Executed and tried to install on top of Avira 9, on XP admin account allowing Processguard all the popups. Did not bother to check since it was late if all was well. Both version were sure english though my XP Pro is in finnish language

Next day I saw that in my limited XP user account I had Avira 9 running. So i went to Administrator account and uninstalled Avira from control panel. And installed again. After I ran some "quick or basic scan" on my limited user account and all went well except at the end of scan the Luke Filewalker (avscan.exe?) window was stopped responding and I had to shut it down from red X.

I have still the Avira 9 install file somewhere, but feel too lazy to try to uninstall/install and see if the Guard in it "Allows Access" to a test virus in event report same as now. I run my browsers always in Sandboxie under limited user account and very seldom install programs and I am quite sure my computer is clean. Well, it has some pesky google updaters from Chrome?, Google Earth? etc that always want to be allowed from Processguard or Kerio 2.1.5 even if I never run them.

The audio feedback I did not get also in Avira 9 on a virus found alert. Perhaps my Realtek audio? Works though fine otherwise. Just no sound from Avira.

Jarmo

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The following is based on v9, which i'm holding on to for now due to various issues with v10.

I'm thinking that maybe you havn't enabled certain options ?

dl.gif

guard.gif

beep.gif

If they are available in v10, then this is how i've done it, and i don't have any problems with interception whilst trying to even DL a nasty, or hearing a beep.

Could be that v10 has different options ? Plus if it's set to Automatic you don't hear a beep ?

For those who want to go back to v9 until the dust has settled ..

Avira 9 without update to v10 solution

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=268926

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I actually did click on the link in the pop-up to update to 10. If I recall it took me to CNet, where I proceeded to download the install pack for v10... but I did not install it. I haven't gotten another pop-up telling me to upgrade since. If you don't click on it will it keep coming back? I went ahead and changed to have it "only" check for definition updates too for good measure, but not sure if that's had any effect or not.

Something else I'm pondering... My license for personal expires in July. I wonder when I go to obtain a new one if it'll force v.10 on me before that specified 9-30-10 deadline?

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

If you don't click it will force-upgrade you in 60 seconds. :ouch:

This is extremely important, otherwise you'll get force-upgraded once again (see above).

The license should autorenew before expiry. If not, you can download it manually.

7. kmr1685

kmr1685 Registered Member

ok this is my 2 cents everything is working fantastically here. avira prmium 10 with uptodate. :D

Attached Files:

8. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Yes, I can confirm your observation, but, as you noticed, the interface in version 10 is a big change. :)

Simply, MHO is that it is not suspicious behavior. If Avira recognize malware, it would be removed to quarantine. Avira is briliant in simply "detecting" the malware. More interesting question is would Avira 10 be better in detecting and handling with various exploits malware, rogue software, zero day malware etc. and specially in malware removal and cleaning.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Thanks Doc. It appears that I fortuitously did everything right then. I was reluctant to click on that link. I'm glad I did now.

I'll be hanging onto this one for awhile. When that 9-30 date creeps closer it'll be back to the drawing board for me. I really, really liked Avira 9. It's light and does everything an AV should do without bells and whistles. I would prefer to stick with their product but will look at other options, like Avast 5 and KAV. I used and liked both in the past. The reason I went with Avira was because it was lighter. Most of the "shields" in Avast and the PDM in KAV were just overlap for me.

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

11. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

The site states that the free version and the premium version NOW have the same spyware detection,adware e.t.c ....but soon after u install the free version a banner appears and shows the difference between versions and it seems that the premium and suite version have ENHANCED spyware detection..any1 have any idea whats the deal with this?

12. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Maybe the ads was outdated...? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.