AVG7 Free released, Forums also available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to see that AVG finally has a forum.
    I also understand you no longer have to register to use AVG free. You only have to register if you want to use the forum.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Firefighter,can you do a quick checkout of AVG7 Free with your testbed?
    AVG compared to avast! HE and AntiVir Free (best free AV scanners with RT)

4. Unity

Unity Registered Member

Yep , that would be really interesting to see which one is the best overall :)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Nice info... ;)

Thanks

I would like to see that tests too... :D

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Firefighter, could you add eTrust promo to them plz?

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

See my post 54 in my linked thread some weeks ago against 3007 samples.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47773&page=3&pp=25

Not very impressed with AVG 7 Beta.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

8. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Finally its nice to see AVG releasing a free edition and the support forums will help a lot of people to troubleshoot their problems instead of mailing to the support team.

9. big ed

big ed Registered Member

I got the avg 7 freebie yesterday. My taskbar icon showed up all shades of black and grey and had message that my virus protection was not up to date. After checking their forum I was able to correct the problem by resetting my computer date from 12 Nov 2020 back to 12 Nov 2004. Go figure! Appears to be a common problem.

Regards, big ed

10. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:'( :(
    "Not very impressed with AVG 7 Beta."

Neither was I. I am still using Windows98 and Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 on a dial up 56K modem. The old 6.0 version did not slow down my machine, the 7.0 Beta version was another story however. Boot up and Internet response became slower than my grandmother, who has been dead for over 40 years.

Has anyone installed the new 7.0 on the same type system as mine, and if so what has been the results? I am reluctant to do so until I obtain further feed back.

I am now using the product of a company that I have blasted in the past. I however must give the devil his due, their program has not slowen down my machine. I like the capabilities of AVG better however, but if it is going to slow down my machine, I will have to do without those capabilities.

Thanks
    wildman
    :eek:

11. pacifist

pacifist Registered Member

P3 500, 128 mb, Windows 98 and dial-up 56k ... old enough?

AVG 7 FREE installed fine - runs fine ... NO problems.

No noticeable slowdowns. This is my choice for a free AV.

Perfect integration with e-mail client - Didn't have to touch a single setting and it works.

12. wildman

:'( Attempted download today, but when the transfer rate was less than 1.0kb, I gave up. I think I'll wait awhile longer.

Would also like to see opinions about the free 7.0 version (good and bad). Really interested in whether the boot up time and browser response time has been effected in any manner.

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O :D

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. dog

dog Guest

15. wildman

:'( Thanks for the links, but the wildman has to stop using AVG. Hopefully this is a temporary situation. I really liked AVG 6.0, but the new 7.0 version caused my machine to run at a snail pace, uninstalled it and my machine is back to normal. Note I do not provide details about my system, as I do not want suggestions on change this that or the other thing.

Thanks
    wildman
    :'( :'(

16. 666

666 Guest

Just tried AVG 7 and compared to AVG 6 it's NOT an improvement. The 'are you sure' popup everytime you shut down AVG Control Center was annoying, but now things got worse.
    It eats a little more memory, no big deal. But: if you only do manual virus scanning you'll find that AVG insists on running on startup anyway, and it adds two services which are set to 'automatic' by default. There's no way to control this from within AVG itself, you manually have to remove the startup entry and take the services out of 'automatic.'

If you close AVG, its services keep running untill you shoot them with the task manager.

I hate programs that try to take over my computer, it's one of the reasons why I always stayed a million miles away from Norton.

Hopefuly AVG will change things so that its components will only run when called for.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You need to delete your video card and format your modem, and install AOL on your motherboard. Hurry, while there's still time!!!:D

18. gm69

gm69 Registered Member

VERY IMPRESSED---YESTERDAY PICKED UP A TROJAN CALLED AGENT.5.K WHICH CAME IN QUITE A FEW TIMES BUT AVG7 FREE GOT ME RID OF IT

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I used AVG6 for a few years on my 98se p3 machine , with no slowdown issues.Version 7 however was a different matter and also caused slowdown and instability.Avast would be my choice of free AVs at the moment as not only does it run better than AVG7 on my system ,but it also has ,and have had better detection rates than AVG.At present though im using a paid for AV...nod32 which ,i must say am most impressed with , especially the super lite footprint , and detection rate.
    ellison

20. wildman

o_O O.K. I have once again installed AVG 7.0 (FREE). I noticed that it took approx. 4% of the available resources from my machine. The response time of my machine appears to be within acceptable levels. The scan time is faster than the previous virus program I was using. It is no secret that I really liked the 6.0 version, but have not been that enthused about the 7.0 one. I however will again give it a try seeing as how things appear to have settled down quiet a bit. I do like the ease of use and maintenance and it is what attracts me to this virus protection program rather than some of the others. If it does not degrade the speed of my machine, this will most likely be the program I stick with (One can only hope).

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: :p :D

21. wildman

;) Downloaded the latest VDF files, and it was a breeze to do so. It appears as if the bugs have perhaps been eliminated from AVG 7.0. I am once again using this program and am very impressed on how easy it is.

I would be interested in hearing form those in the know, as to how this program rates with the other FREE virus protection programs.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D :cool: :D

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

23. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Beware about VB100% results.

Don't simply count VB100% logo to judge a real quality of AV products. You have to know about concept of ITW malware (what if some malware that cause serious danger and still in circulating but not listed to be ITW), methodologies were used in that test and it even better to read some or full review in Virus Bulletin magazine in order to know what causes some AVs fail to pass VB100% test, if not, you'd be misleading by so many hypes out there, at least VB100% is not all about.

ICSA Labs Certified Products Anti-Virus Detection is one of the best indication about how good an AVs product can detect 100% ITW malware that are in the WildList at a given time.

Last Updated: 14 December 2004 - http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certification/certprod.shtml

Anti-Virus Scanner Criteria - http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certification/avscancrit.shtml

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

but at ICSA avg doesn't make it to the cleaning certified list at all. At least with VB AVG looks a little better

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.