AVG

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kloshar, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Tell me your real opinion about AVG, please. Is it good?

2. boney

boney Registered Member

hiya kloshar

i'm not very knowledgeable about pc's so i asked on these forums for advice and avg came very reccommended.

after trying it for some time now i can only say that its given me no problems and has caught 4 viruses to date.

its easy to use and most importantly...easy to update( i only have the free version...i dont know if the pro version is that much better)

i'm sure others will advise you who know better but im very happy with it so far

hope this helps

dave...uk

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I really don't know. The installer seems to disagree with my computer - it crashes every time. I've heard of other people getting similar problems. It will probably work for you, though.

Just remember that it is nowhere near as good as, say, NOD32. You get what you pay for.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi there! I've got quite a bit of experience under my belt with AVG now. I used to run it on my primary system before I bought NOD32. I have run AVG on different systems ranging from very low to very high specs, WIN98SE, Win2kpro, and now a couple with XP. I've not had a hiccup from it on any system ever. I decided I wanted a higher performer to protect my main and most expensive machine which has the most valuable data, etc on it. I would say AVG is a very good free AV. I would also say that it should (as with any AV, really) be used with a healthy dose of common sense and safe computing on the users part - no blind trust, in other words.

Avast! is probably also a good free AV, but upon my last trial they wanted more information than I was willing to give to use their free version for one year. I'm not saying they are "wrong" because of this, but that just isn't right for me.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello Kloshar! I use AVG-Free on 3 of my 4 home PC's. I use NOD32 on mine. Did have one problem before. One of the PC's came down with the flu (caught a virus). Had to reinstall the OS. If you don't practice safe-surfing, upgrade to a better app (I like NOD32, personally). Otherwise, AVG Free is the best freeware I've seen.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I use AVG Pro on my desktop and laptop computer and cannot complain on the protection I have (although I have never had a virus) I have installed the free version on 2 other computers recently and while it does use the same scanning engine and updates if you require a more configurable scanner and the added Personal e-mail scan component which detects and quarantines a virus prior to hitting your inbox then I would definitely recommend the Pro version. I did not realise how many configurations were not in the free version until I installed this as I do prefer to purchase my AV.
    AVG free is certainly well used and recommended in the UK forums and magazines.

I still have until 2005 on my license but one AV I am following the details of is NOD 32 but am still very happy with the layer of protection AVG Pro is giving me. No matter which AV you go for free or paid they are only as good as the last update. I must say AVG are regular with their updates.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Yes they are, Robyn. ;) Not only that, but AVG seems to also be very light on resources, at least compared to Norton and McAffee.

8. kloshar

So AVG is good choice?

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Now where did you ever get that idea? ;)

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I will say "yes" if the choice is between AVG and either another free AV or no AV.

However, should your question be "Is AVG a good choice over non-free AVs?" then I would answer "no." Most anti-virus apps that you pay for will be better, but AVG is one of the best free AVs.

11. kloshar

Well ... I've got only F-secure 5.42 for Workstation licenced version. Can AVG compare with it? What about with 5.53 Client Security?

12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

F-Secure v5.42 is way ahead of AVG, even if you pick the Professional version.

13. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

My question.........How does AVG Pro compare to other pay for AVs? I'm mainly interested in Panda Platinum 7, NOD32, Etrust EZ. My main interest is how well it protects my computer compared to the others.

I've read the reviews and tests, but after awhile, it all becomes a blurr. I think for the most part, you get a better idea of a product from the people who use them.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I use AVG 7 and find it to be a great antivirus program. After configuring it the way I want it I just leave it alone. Has auto update. Email scanner works with Outlook, outlook express, Thunderbird, Opera's M2 and many other clients as well. I have it run full system scan once a month and user configured scans (folders I have selected to scan) once a week and quick scan daily.

Summary:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_index.php

New feature of version 7:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_news.php

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2004
  15. Mannaggia

There's got to be more than just one person with opinions on comparing AVG Pro with the other AVs I mentioned.;)

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Take a look at the link and check out avg's detection history. It is not to impressive.

17. Mannaggia

I'm going to have to stop trying out different and AVs and just stay with the one I always go back to which is Panda Platinum.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.