AVG

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by billiev, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billiev

billiev Registered Member

Hi!
    I currently use AVG antivirus software(free version). I used to use Norton, but it would really bog things down, especially in ME, so I uninstalled it.
    I'm wondering--is AVG a good, reliable antivirus? It works well with my computer. I know there are several free/trial versions of software available. I would like to try some others. Which would work best with my computer? I have a 700Mz processor, 20 Gb Hd--75% full :rolleyes:, 320 RAM, and I have a dual OS--Win ME and Win 2000.

Thanks! :D

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

AVG is a so so AV. The reason I say this is because it don't have a good track record in tests. But I'm sure someone will be along shortly and can help you a little more.

3. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey billiev,
    AVG... for me its more than just a good AV... I have the proffessional version 7 (had tried the free version prior to that ofcourse) and it surely doesnt account for being less to any other AVs existing...
    Now your one area of concern is system resource... and i should say you have made a well-to-do choice already :) and if you do want some more options.. you do try NOD32 which uses low resouces..
    to me AVG is better than many bests.

thx

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Yes Subtram, is right try NOD32. Its a great AV.

5. billiev

billiev Registered Member

NOD32--is there a free trial? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks for the comments :)

...........never mind, I found the link ;)

6. StarFox

StarFox Registered Member

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

AVGs ok not as good detection wise as nod32, but then again you pay for nod32 updates.You may find these command lines useful if you use AVG.Just make a new shortcut on desktop for them.The first launches a complete test from the shortcut without having to open the programe.The second one is useful if you use an application like netlaunch as it can launch the AVG updater at any time.
    These are for AVG 6
    Complete Scan Path:-

"C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\AVGW.EXE" /NOSPLASH/PLAN/NTEST

Update Path:-

"C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\AVGINET.EXE" /sched

AVG 7

Complete Test

"C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe" /TEST=2

me

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

If you want to keep it free go with avast!. It’s the only free windows antivirus that I'd trust.

Next commercial programs would fit your requirements neatly:

NOD32
    DrWeb32
    F-Prot
    Command Antivirus

tECHNODROME

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'd say for the average user, who doesn't use Kazaa, download from Warez, hang out in gaming sites, or spend their time in places like those, AVG is probably adequate.

The bulk of my time online is spent on history sites, and in a dozen forums of various kinds. I'm probably overgunned with the antivirus I use. For me, AVG would probably be adequate.

In other words, AVG and AVAST are fine antiviruses for the general user.

10. Trans

Trans Registered Member

This "general user" uses Kazaa and all kind of such stuff
    that you describe nowadays ... :D

11. subratam

subratam Registered Member

I would never leave my support that AVG is no way less than any av in the web.... specially with the latest functions like email scanning, heuristic scans, resident shield
    I myself use AVG 7 pro (it isnt free ;) ) and it never leaves me dissatisfied as it did when i used the free version but yes... the paid one is ofcourse giving me more options and so to say more sound sleep.
    at present i am trialling escan version 2 (the latest one) which claims to have the world's first real time email scanner.

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

For a free anti virus and firewall package for the average user you cant walk past
    e trust s http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

For a nice free lifetime liscence with 2 anti virus engines both InnoculateIT and Vet combined http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Collateral.asp?CID=41370

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.