avg

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by monica_84, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monica_84

monica_84 Registered Member

I HAVE A PROBLEM IN AVG FREE EDITION . THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN MY COMPUTER STARTS
    IT GOES AUTOMATICALLY IN SAFE MODE. I HAVE TO UNINSTALL AVG FREE EDITION TO COME BACK TO NORMAL. I AM USING WIN 98 SE. I AM NOT USING ANY OTHER SCANNER

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Monica and welcome to Wilders. I presume you installed AVG in Safe Mode. After the installing AVG did you revert your settings from Safe Mode? I installed AVG without having to go into Safe Mode and it installed beautifully and no problems. Try this after you instal AVG and see if it will help if you revert back to safe mode:

1. Turn on your computer & monitor.
    2. Press and hold down the CTRL key. [The Microsoft Win98 Startup Menu appears. The menu displays a list of choices for starting Windows in different modes.]
    3. Type the number 3 to Start Windows in safe mode and then press the Enter key. [Windows starts in safe mode. A message appears, telling you that Windows is running in safe mode and that some of your devices may not be available]
    3. Click OK to continue.
    You can now try to fix the problem that is keeping Windows from starting normally. When you finish fixing the problem, restart your computer. You should now be able to use your computer as usual.

3. monica_84

monica_84 Registered Member

NO I HAVE NOT INSTALL AVG IN SAFE MODE .AND SOMETIMES I ALSO GET A ERROR MESSAGE AT START UP "WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR"

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I am not familiar with the message "windows protection error" that you are getting ... maybe someone else here can explain it. Your problem can be one of several but let's eliminate any possible viruses ... do an online scan with either one of the following:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/#e3

or http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

and if your scan comes up clean, then try the suggestion I mentioned in my previous post.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Theres some info here on windows protection errors..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q149962

Probably a good idea as advised in the article is to create a bootlog.txt and see what is the last device driver thats loaded as it is this driver thats usually causing the problem.Boot your pc by perssing control or sometimes f8 until you get the screen that offers the 4 choice of startups and choose the second one i belive that says logged start.That log should then be availabe to see as bootlog.txt on C:\.You should then be able to view the bootlog txt even in safe mode and maybe theres some more info that may give you a clue as to whats causing the problems ;i.e a virus hardware or software conflict.
    me

URL tags added to the link - please use them! - paul

6. reslas

reslas Guest

Sorry I am late into the conversation. I get the "windows protection fault" on start-up when I load an anti-virus program (AVG or Norton). I can not boot. If I bypass the anti-virus files, it boots up nice. Strange!

1GHz - Athlon, 250 MB RAM, Win 98se

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

tried reinstalling? It's s'posed to help.
    Also, you have the setup that needs XP : to extract the power of your 1GHz.. somehow Win me never gave me as much performance as the XP Pro did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.