AVG/Windows Defender Conflict

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JohnBurns, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

In the past few days, on my 2 home pc's, Windows Defender is being turned off at boot and I have to manually start it. I found another forum which a couple posts indicated this was being caused by AVG 9.0, which I have installed on the pc's. Has anyone in here experienced this? I have contacted AVG, but do not have response yet.

2. JohnBurns

Never mind......I found a forum now that indicates this is deliberatly done by AVG and supposedly has Microsoft approval. Just wish they would tell the end users of this type thing. Oh, well.....:blink:

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnBurns, if you look at this thread: AVG AV Free Edition 9.0 Review, bottom of Post #1, I encountered the same issue, upon installation. However, after enabling WD, it has not been turned off since. Just FYI.

JR

4. JohnBurns

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnBurns, I don't doubt that you are having problems because every PC configuration (software/hardware) is different. I did find the problem initially but it did not come back.

I don't know if you have tried this, but what I suggest, whenever someone finds an issue, is to re-install the program (repair option) to see if it goes away.

Here's the Installation Files page, if you wish to do so.

6. JohnBurns

I am running AVG paid version on pc's - so I hesitate to reinstall until I get AVG to advise me to do it - thanks for the suggestion anyway.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnBurns, I thought you were running the Free version since you mentioned their Free Forum.

In your case, I would contact AVG Customer Support (if you haven't done so already) since you are entitled to it and pose the WD question to them.

8. JohnBurns

Thanks - I have already contacted AVG via email - but it takes a while for an answer. My biggest problem with this situation is the fact the I wasn't advised that Windows Defender was being turned off and had to spending time finding why Windows Defender was not working - when AVG already knew the answer and could have provided that information with the install. Thanks for your responses.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnBurns, you're welcome! Yes, I know how you feel, because for me (see my thread), the ZA conflict was an eye opener and totally unexpected.

If you do get an AVG response, post back so others can benefit from your efforts. Take care.

JR

10. JohnBurns

JR - I received a response from AVG, so I am posting it as you suggested. Here it is:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your email.

Please let us inform you that Windows defender is conflicting with AVG and thus AVG when launched disables Windows Defender processes.

Please accept our apologies for the caused inconvenience.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Alexander Lozanov
    AVG Customer Services"

Short and to the point, I guess - at least I know now.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnBurns, what's weird is that my WD, and its MsMpEng.exe process, has never been disabled since that first time, as explained above.

As a matter of fact, although I update WD manually before its daily scan, I received an auto WD update notification, upon starting my PC this morning.

I guess I'll have to wait until the next AVG program update to see if my WD turns off. Thanks for posting their response!

JR

12. JohnBurns

I have found a way to start Windows Defender after boot. For those of you who have WinPatrol installed, just move Windows Defender from "Startup Programs" to "Delayed Start" using WinPatrol. This works for me - no problem of slow boot, and I don't forget to start Windows Defender. AVG and Windows Defender seem to have no serious conflict after boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.