AVG warning window

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Baz, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baz

Baz Registered Member

I recently found a bugbear virus in C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM when I ran Stinger. My AVG free version did not alert me with a warning window although I may have got a sound warning that I mistook for incoming mail. I have both window and sound warning boxes checked in Advance settings but it appears the window warning is not functioning

Any ideas

Thanks

Baz

2. Baz

Baz Registered Member

Just did a EICAR.COM virus test. My local server picked up the email "virus" and deleted it so I don't know if my AVG would have found it. However, the download "virus" test did produce an AVG warning window.

The only thing I can think of is that the bugbear that got onto my machine was a new variant that my server and my "up to date" Avg did not pick upo_O

Cheers

Baz

3. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

The only thing I can think about is that the bugbear was there before you installed AVG, or that is got in there before the definitions were updated for the worm.

Other than that, another user who uses your PC could have downloaded it, and just ignored the AVG window, or AVG just missed it.

Is anyone else using your PC?

4. Baz

Baz Registered Member

Hi Guy, only my wife uses the computer and she wets her knickers if any thing untoward turns up and would certainly have immediately informed me if there had been a warning.

It must have been downloaded the day I found it as it had not activated, probably because I had not shut down and restarted the computer.

I automatically run AVG every evening but from now on I might also run stinger before I shut down for the night.

Thanks for your input.

Baz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.