AVG V8.5 Paid is now downloadable

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kdcdq, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I just noticed today that AVG V8.5 paid is now downloadable via AVG's main USA website at: http://www.grisoft.com/us.download.

And, no, I have'nt installed it yet, but I will be doing so before the end of today.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

thanks for the update
    question; did you try it or just found the news

3. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

My AVG Internet Security licence runs until 1/1/10, but clicking on the 'Update
    Now' part of the taskbar icon still shows no update as being available.

The UK AVG web site says that a licence includes program updates, so I have sent a support query to AVG but no reply as yet.

I am unclear as to whether I have to pay for the upgrade to version 8.5 or if I have to remove the current version 8.0.237 first before installing the new software. I cannot find any guidance on the AVG site.

4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Here is what I have found out so far:

1) AVG has not posted an "update" file to migrate/upgrade to V8.5. So, for now, the only way to get from V8 to V8.5, is the uninstall V8 and then install V8.5; that is what I did and it worked great for me.

2) I have upgraded/installed AVG V8.5 Anti-malware paid on one system with no problems encountered so far (V8.5 has only been running an hour or so).

5. Green Giant

Thanks for your posting kdcdq.

Did your licence code for the version you removed work for version 8.5, or did you have to buy a new licence?

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I noticed today that the free version has also been upgraded to 8.5 and can be downloaded from free.avg.com

7. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello Green Giant,

No, I didn't have to buy a new license for AVG to upgrade to V8.5.....

8. Green Giant

Thanks to both Victek123 and kdcdq for their postings.

I have had no reply yet from AVG as yet to my support question, but assume that they are very busy with enquiries.

It is a pity though that my question was not dealt with on their website, at least yesterday, as there must be many with version 8.0 on AVG Internet Security wondering how to proceed.

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I have AVG IS 8.0. I downloaded and installed 8.5 over the top of 8.0. No problems at all. A new ID icon has been added to the taskbar.

10. Green Giant

Many thanks Graystoke for this information!

I will do the same when I return home later today.

11. Green Giant

Grateful thanks to all who have posted under this thread!

Glad to say that the latest AVG IS with ID Protection has just been installed successfully in my PC!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

avg looks more untidy everysinle version.
    why dont they create their own technology rather than just buying out someone else?
    with 8.5 you get two tray icons.
    even with a buyout it should still be intergrated in to one interface and there should only be one tray icon.

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Why not use what already works just fine?

LinkScanner worked fine, and the problems with slowdowns, while browsing both IE and Firefox, have been fixed long ago, after acquisition by AVG.

I got no complaints.

SANA tool works great. So, in my honest opinion, AVG did right buying it. I just hope, and want to believe, that they didn't rush things out by releasing a version with that protection already. But, let's wait and see and not judge right away. :)

Regards

14. progress

progress Guest

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, they have it! ;)

I'm already testing it. So far, I didn't notice any slowdowns. I even think this kinda old system, where I installed it, boots faster. :D Honestly! :)

The interface is not that bad. New colors, etc. But, the main interface, is the one we're used from SANA. It wasn't redesigned, as Norton Antibot wasn't. Why change an interface that works, anyway.

And, about the two icons someone talked about in the antivirus... I only got one. But, I only installed the component LinkScanner, along side with the antivirus and antispyware modules, and anti-rootkit.

Perhaps, due to the fact I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.5, rather than a clean install?

Regards

16. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I just booted up for the first time today about 20 minutes ago with AVG IS 8.5 installed. Boot up seemed to take quite a bit longer then it did with AVG IS 8.0. I'm not sure if the reason is the new Identity Protection, but it sure seems to be leaning in that direction.

17. robinb

robinb Registered Member

i have avg 8.0 Pro with firewall- I am in the midst of downloading the 8.5 now. After reading the new manual i do not see the new tool on the manual at all. I am wondering if it is only in the IS version. I will let you know when i install it. I am also suprised it is not coming via the uploader or at least to get an email from avg telling me to upgrade and how.

robin

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  18. robinb

robinb Registered Member

ok i decided to put it ontop of 8.0. The only way to do this was to do a repair because there was no option to "install new version". I also noticed this on the free 8.5 version. I will tell you there is no id protection in avg antivirus Pro with firewall. I am again assuming it is ONLY in the IS version.

Everything seems to be working fine so far, I had a glitch with a website but when i turned off webshield and turned it back on and restarted Firefox it now is working ok so far.

I am still wondering if this is going to be for the other pro versions other than the internet security Pro version an upgrader via the updater because i really do not see any changes from 8.0 to 8.5. The user face is exactly the same as in 8.0 so what are the changes from going to 8.0-8.5 in these additions if I do not see any?

robin

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, the Product Comparison link that ance provided shows only the Paid IS version getting the Identity Protection. Your AVG Paid, with Firewall, is missing that feature plus the Anti-Spam feature.

Yes, from my Free perspective, the 8.5 looks the same as the 8.0, except the Resident Shield is nosier and more active now in every thing the PC does.

20. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Wich things please

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

GES/POR, the Resident Shield (avgrsx.exe) seems to be engaged more so in this version than previous ones.

For starters, I'm experiencing a slow boot of Zone Alarm Firewall initialization at startup, with a steady CPU Usage of about 40% until the ZA tray icon appears. A couple of posters have complained about the same thing in their Free forum.

During downloads, the RS uses between 20-30% CPU. Windows Defender scans makes the RS go wild, with spikes up to 97% CPU. Opening files and/or folders engages the RS as well, but not as much: 10-20% CPU spikes.

None of these were evident in the 8.0.237 version. However, the good thing is that RS always does quiet down to 0% CPU so I guess it's doing its job. At the moment, my avgrsx.exe sits at 0% CPU, 188K Mem Usage, 68,616K Peak Usage as seen in the Task Manager, while using Firefox 3.0.7 replying to you.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

amazing- why bother doing a 8.5 version if they did nothing for the AVG pro and AVG Pro with firewall?

I would like to know what they updated since only the IS version has the Identity Protection. You would think if you are going to have a Pro version all that would be included since you are paying for the program to begin with.
    robin

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, this is the only info I have been able to find (2nd post): AVG 8.5 Free - Any speciific improvements?, which is from the Pro version out of the Beta forum, according to Randy (rdsok).

The AVG Press Releases & News page still does not state anything about the new Paid 8.5 version as of today.

24. robinb

robinb Registered Member

ok I just got off the phone with AVG. Since I am a reseller for them I would like to settle this confusion.
    they told me that the 8.5 Pro versions will come through the updater on 8.0. At this time they are still testing this process and in a few weeks we will see it come through.
    As for the new identification protection part- this is only for AVG 8.5 Internet Security and those who have it now will have an option to download this component separately and it will install inside their AVG.

As for the rest if you want it you will have to pay for it. That is why you see it on their website as a separate installation.

I hope this helps everyone now.

robin

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, thanks for the heads-up! :) Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.