AVG Technologies acquire Norman Safeground

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jadda, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Norman sandbox.. Good idea, terrible implementation. Why do you think their technology is any good?

I haven't ran into a single company using Norman in the last decade.

3. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Well, to be honest, I haven't tried it in a couple of years ... But I remember it did good, back in the days. Perhaps time has been flying too fast!

4. ALL AV's have code emulation, Norman had a sandbox way back, but never could live up the promise to that technology (as Mayahana clearly mentions). Still Norman cloud is interesting technology.

AVG has a history of buying innovative companies who tend to fade away after the hype of the innovation has passed (starting from EWIDO to Exploit Labs and Sana Security). They have proven to be able to incorporate it in their AV.

Benefits (beside dealer/distribution channel) for AVG
    a) take code emulation to VM-capabilities of the CPU on desktop (like AVAST is implementing right now)
    b) use the Norman cloud sandbox for faster white/black listing response when AV's migrates to cloud

Just wait and see, looking at VB100 RAP chart, AVG's buying technology seems a better approach as its rival AVAST does (developing innovations itself)

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've never seen anyone use it. The first time I heard of it was on these forums, and I thought someone had misspelled Norton.

AVG needs something interesting. I've had no interest in them since version 7.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

had a lic for norman a few years back. it was ehh. im hoping avg will make some good use of this though and make avg better because i currently find avg to be only average. i actually overall really like the program i just wish detection and cleaning were better.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder from where they get the money to throw on these frequent buys and then killing then.

8. ance

ance formerly: fmon

As far as I know from Saudi Arabia. :shifty:

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG already has a working emulation technology. I'm guessing they bit on this for the sandbox and cloud technologies. There's also a whole AV engine there, Ewido's tech did get incorporated into AVG products. Let's see what happens.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting move, I wouldn't be surprised if Norman is really glad with the deal, because I believe they didn't do well in the consumers market, and I'm not sure how much money they made with the business division. BTW, I didn't even know that AVG's headquarter is based in Amsterdam.

http://investors.avg.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250967&p=irol-contact

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  11. zfactor

in all my years handling business' and personal computers i have only ever seen norman on one single machine i repaired for a consumer. never saw it on a single business machine.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How did they manage to survive in this situation? May be via corporate business?

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I monitor 32K+ machines, and have never seen it installed. I did hear the US Military and some defense contractors used it. Maybe all of that lucrative govt. contact cash?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I loved the Norman Sandbox concept, it was so ahead of everyone else (in terms of concept!). However, in terms of actual detection, it really wasn't anything special. Probably because the tech wasn't ready for it back then or they just weren't trying hard enough.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, otherwise they could not had survived at all.

16. pondus

pondus Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  17. pondus

pondus Registered Member

Norman ASA was split in two companys Norman safeground and Norman shark

Norman shark is the one that make/own the virus engine and this was sold to BlueCoat
    https://www.bluecoat.com/company/press-releases/blue-coat-acquires-norman-shark
    http://www.networkworld.com/article...-acquires-anti-malware-firm-norman-shark.html
    And lots more if you google

Norman safeground released version 11 earlier this year and moved to Bitdefender engine, as of oktober 31 all programs should have moved to Bitdefender engine

18. pondus

pondus Registered Member

19. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

20. pondus

pondus Registered Member

21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder how long it'll take before AVG will start incorporating Norman technology in their antivirus.

23. When I understand Pondus post correctly, the Norman Sandbox was sold together with the engine to Bluecoat, so what technology is left to incorporate?

24. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I think with AVG 2016? I hope the free version will get more security as well. :thumb:

25. zfactor

while not a avg fan i do look forward to seeing what they can do with this. im always open to trying out new or heavily upgraded av's and im hoping this will help their detection rates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.