AVG Pro w/Firewall, Very Nice!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by danny9, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I have used AVG free on a second computer for close to a year that I run Seti and Einstein on.
    Needed something light and AVG fit in nicely.
    When I developed problems with a suite I used on my main computer, I went shopping.
    I tried many out there but got the usual, updates not working, tons of processes running, resource heavy or it dragged down my system.
    Paid and free.
    Since it ran so well on Computer 2, I gave it a shot on #1.
    Tried the AVG + firewall.
    Liked it so much I bought it.
    I have to say it's been running flawlessly and doing what I was looking for.
    Some will say the detection rates are not that good but it has been improving. Advanced + in latest av comparatives,

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Regardless, I like it and so far problem free.
    More then I can say for others I have used.
    I have to give it a big :thumb: :D

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I tried it & agree that it's solid piece of programing & agree with the upbeat thoughts on detection. It ran well on my new machine with vista & I"m trialing FSIS now but the AVG+firewall is in the running. The upside is it's non impact on the system but it doesn't cover rootkits as well as FSIS. I will be making a decision soon. Glad you are pleased with your choice & I'm sure you will be pleased...

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

AVG Pro's detection rate is 4-6% worse than AVG anti-malware which was the tested product.

4. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

While I'm using a slightly different flavor of software, AVG 7.5 Internet Security, I agree with the first two posters. On my box (Intel Core2 6300, Vista 32bit, 3G RAM), the program's components run smoothly with very little overhead.

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I understand that but I choose not to run the anti-malware full time.
    Run scans manually on a regular basis using SuperAntiSpyware. :)

6. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks, I am.
    AVG does offer a free rootkit scan,

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-rootkit/us/frt/0

Also included in their security suite if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, my ex, we're still good friends, runs FSIS and loves it!:D

7. larryb52

I'll have to check that link on the detection for rootkits, thanks will help me make a more informed final decsion. I am beging to think the keep it simple method is best. Some of these programs do so much & yes with good detection but the overall effect on your system & what I call real world detection maybe effected by these processes. Just my opinion...

8. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Unless they very recently changed the suite, I don't think it is.

As for AVG pro, I think it's improving. If you look on the castlecops malware listserv, it flags many, many of the files. I don't think it used to do so well. I also see AVG heuristic detections too on there.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  9. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

One of the reasons I didn't consider the suite is the spam filter.
    Been using MailWasher Pro for yrs and it's staying.
    Out of curiosty, what's your opinion of the anti-malware component?
    Any slowdowns? Resource usuage?
    Tried a few in the past and did not like them running in real time so I just use them as on demand scanners.
    Thanks, Dan:)

10. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Firecat might be able to chime in regarding the anti-malware edition. ;)

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Not always, as nowadays I am getting lesser and lesser time to be on forums like this...:(

Anyway, I have used both AVG Anti-Malware and the suite, and I will say that both are quite light and have very little system overhead. Detection rates are of course quite good, and support is very nice as well, provided they understand the problem. :D

And yes, AVG Pro is improving. An improved anti-rootkit component will be integrated into the paid AVG products with the release of version 8.0 expected in Fall 2007. :)

I really liked AVG during the time I used it. It was simple, elegant and efficient. Unfortunately a showstopper bug with the Resident Shield which prevents it from showing alerts on malware detection has stopped me from using AVG (this is a VERY uncommon bug). Grisoft is still investigating the problem - hopefully they can find a fix so I can continue using AVG. :):):)

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for your input Firecat.
    Gave me something to mull over.:D

13. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hi Dan,

I chose not to install the anti-spam filter. I use Office 2007's built-in filtering capability, which has been doing a fine job for me so far.

The anti-malware component does not slow down my system at all, but I do have a pretty powerful system to start with, so your mileage may vary :)

Regards,
    Jim

14. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks, Jim :D

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I too had the AVG plus firewall edition ,but "cross upgraded" to AVG ISS (i dont use it now because it doesnt play nice since i changed my os to 2000 pro)The spy and adware detection is worth the upgrade imo.The anti spam module is by far the best spam detector ive seen in an av.The downside is that spam is downloaded to your mail client ,rather than giving you the choice to delete at server which is what mailwasher does i believe?.You can disable the spam module or change the threshold spam detection on it.If memory serves though ,i think if you dont install it at all ,then you cant use the personal email scanner either.You may need to check this with current users.

16. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

That's one of things I like about MaiWasherPro, you can see and delete e-mail at the server.
    There is an e-mail scanner included with AVG. I don't know if there's something different with the one you mentioned but the one included is more then enough.
    I tried the suite with the spy and adware detection and do not like it.
    No where near as lite as SuperAntiSpyware, Counterspy or AVG's own antispyware, a separate download, which used to be Ewido.
    My opinion fwiw. :cool:

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

There is a noticeable difference on some PCs with regards to resource usage between AVG Anti-Malware and AVG Internet Security (not on mine though). You might want to try the Anti-Malware edition and see again! :)

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I guess each users setup can react differently.I found the security suite very light to run on a p3 733 w98se system.However counterspy would bog the same system down (im talking w98se resources here gdi/user/system),and for that reason i stopped using it.You dont mention what spec your pc is or what OS you are using?.
    ellison

19. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Run Windows XP media, SP2 on a
    Dell Dimension E510
    Pentium D processor 820 with Dual Core Technology
    2.80GHz 800FSB
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533Hhz
    256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon x600 SE HyperMemory.
    It's funny, when I download the Anti-Spyware seperately, it runs great with very low resource useage, 15k. In the suite it's quite high, about 65k which is alot higher then Counterspy and SuperAntiSpyware and it doesn't have the options that the others have.
    Just don't see it as being worth it. The AS in the suite that is.:)

20. larryb52

yea I noticed the same thing...I just finished my testing & I'm leaning towards AVG but just went to FSIS & they have a 3 license deal for 48 bucks, I already have a license for Kis but I need one more for that 4th machine & I just hate to drop 80 bucks for 1 license...have to ponder for now, but AVG may end up there, I like the lightening quick feel of my system...

21. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I hear that.
    I'm sure you know I ran KIS for quite awhile from other posts, I tried FSIS and many others.
    But AVG just quietly runs in the background. No drag on the system as many others do. That's the way I like it.:)

22. larryb52

I run some sports game that are all stat related (no little guys) strategy games, not to bore but it's text based. I run rapid replays too see how accurate the seasons are so speed & lightness has always been something I liked & it's funny how some light ones don't run that way with these games, however AVG does & with the router the firewall is just fine...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.