AVG Pro 7.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SG1, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Was trying to clean/uninstall old references to AVG in registry and could not delete some mentions of the app. (I wonder why I pay for the uninstallers and reg. cleaners, I have).

Does one have to be in Safe Mode to delete "ornery" stay behind reg. references likes these, perhaps?

And/or, I wondered, have Spywareblaster or Spybot done their work at reg. level in such a fashion that the apps may prevent some reg. deletions?

Then, at any rate, I wanted to reinstall AVG (just as an on demand backup scanner on F drive where I had it before, but it quit updating twice, and once when it was on C drive, and the co. found "nothing wrong" in log files).

But, call me perverse but since I have quite a while to go on the paid for lic., I want to use it. However, in trying a reinstall, it could not create or write to a reg. key, having to do with AVG PUP Exception/CLSID... and that was that. Ideas on how to fix this, maybe?

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Yes, SpyBot S&D has a Registry Protection that will prevent necessary registry modifications, it is called "TeaTimer" and should be off for security software removal/install.

Would be best to be 'OffLine' and also temporarily turn off Firewall and any other protections as well, (for the removal & installs) just remember to re-enable them when done.

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

yup! spybot's tea-timer is very effective registry guard and not very prompting with alerts too...

4. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I don't use TeaTimer, but I think Spybot writes other protections to the system/registry level. (?)

I did turn off security apps, kill their processes as much as possible before I tried to reinstall AVG; however, it could be matter of if I have admin. rights to be doing what have you. Not sure on how to check that, tho' I was sure I told tech guy to be sure I was the one/only honcho of this PC (as only my brother and I use it).

May have to adjust startups, fire up with virtually nothing running, and try it again. Dunno' if that may work.

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.