AVG or Avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zarzenz, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I was just wondering what you would advise regarding either using the AVG or Avast free anti-virus programs.

I have tried both in the last few days... and AVG did in fact pick up a script virus located in a temp internet file which was good... not sure how serious this was... but it's gone now.

But after reading some threads here, I thought I'd give the free Avast a try.

One thing... it seems to have made another program... Distributed Com Services RPSCC.exe ask for server rights in Zone Alarm... is this normal... does Avast do this, or has this come from somewhere else, but I've never seen this before I ran Avast so I'm a bit concerned about this.

Otherwise... it seems ok so far but is there any reason that it may be better or worst than AVG.

I don't open unsolicited Emails and practice safe habits so I only really need a free anti-virus program... mainly for resident scans more than anything else to go along with ZA free and the tea timer within Spybot which seems a useful tool.

Any comments most welcome.

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Dear zarzenz,

Combining your own experience (the most important input you'll need) and the comments in the thread (linked below) should give you all the information you need to make your decision - unless you are as indecisive as I am :rolleyes:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=22260

FWIW, based somewhat on my limited use of AVG and Avast, but more so on what I've read here, I would stick with Avast.

Regards
    Optigrab

3. zarzenz

Thank you optigrab for that link. :)

I will have a really good read through this very soon.

I have to sort some domestic duties here now but this looks like just what I need to read as it has been asked before... I missed it then.

4. zarzenz

NOTE TO MODS

Please feel free to delete this thread as I have now replied in the dedicated thread that was already started on this subject.

zarzenz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.