AVG onlinescan VS AVG Free?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Steve1209, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi all,

I've used an earlier version AVG 7.5 which was paid but it expired. I now have a question about using AVG 7.5.1.43 FREE VS using the onlinecan from http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/. Is there an advantage of USING one(Onlinescan over FREE) over the other?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Steve

2. Steve1209

Hi All,
    Does anyone know any info about this question on the AVG FREE anti-spyware 7.5.1.43 VS the Online Scanner, is one better than the other? Just curious & thanks for any information...

Steve

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Just a hunch but I'd suspect that the AVG AS Free version is better, as it installs a SYSTEM service (guard.exe) which AFAIK handles the actual scanning/cleaning and thus it should be more effective at handling infections because of the privileges it is run with.

Someone more knowledgeable feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

4. Steve1209

Hi lordpake,

I didn't realize the FREE version had a guard facility, when I looked at this web page I only saw an anti-spyware facility on the free version, so you are telling me something new, I didn't realize... http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5
    Thanks for the reply
    Steve

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, in theory, having an equal amount of guns and defenses inside your "home" would work better than "contacting an external source to defeat the problem". Provided of course the two defenses/protections are equal in all respects. :p:p

So yeah, I think AVG AS Free edition should be better than the online scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.