AVG not picking up MyDoom emails

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zyx345, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zyx345

zyx345 Registered Member

I am using AVG 6.0 free edition. I have done all of the updates including the latest last night. I have it set to scan my emails & sync. w. outlook express.

Lately I've been getting emails with strange attachments from unknown recipients with "test, hi,etc.." in the subject line. The emails then say ASCII attachment open to read.

Should AVG be blocking these before I get them or provide some kind of warning? o_O

Maybe I am used to Norton, but does AVG only block or quarantine a worm or virus if you open the attachment first? o_O

Is there any way to set the AVG free edition to automatically quarantine known viruses or worms.

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Well I'm not a fan or a user of AVG but I know many who are, the program does indeed detect the said Virus and I see no reason why it isnt detecting it via email o_O

Hopefully an active user of AVG can help.

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

AVG only warns or blocks if you try to open the attachment

it also activates if you move the email to a different folder, but it doesn't usually flag viruses until you actually try to open them

AVG 7 paid for has a different pop scanner that checks all attachmnents and emails when receiving & blocks suspect ones

I've now changed to NOD, which does it a bit better

Edit:

there is a new pop3 scanner add on for AVG6 free edition buried somewhere on the Grisoft website

4. gunnarj

gunnarj Registered Member

5. zyx345

zyx345 Registered Member

Thanks gunnarj. I checked the site above & there was a lot of helpful info but I was unable to find the Outlook Express 5.x plug in. I tried various search combinations on AVG's site with no results.

Can anyone advise on how or where I can get the plug in? o_O Thanks!

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

check the link for info on the avg plugin for outlook express. it looks like the plugin for outlook express may have been addeed to v.7 and not offered as a download for 6.0 anymore

http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqindex.php?id_rodice=2

7. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

You can prevent this email from coming into your inbox in OE Mail Rules ... simply type in the various subject lines that this worm uses, [check Symantec website for them] and then set your rule to either delete or not download from the server .. done deal. I chose the delete route because I can check my deleted mail in case something is there that should not be. Downloading of your mail may slow down somewhat but it's worth it. Also, to prevent infection be sure to keep your mail Preview Pane closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.