AVG LinkScanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I have a relative using AVG LinkScanner for quite a while now, mostly due to the Surf-Shield component, rather than the Secure Search/Search-Shield. But, I did leave the Search-Shield component enabled, because my relative wanted the visible alerts in Google search engine.

I never really liked Search-Shield, because I find it rather weak in its protection - its database of known malicious domains is far behind TrafficLight for example.

Anyway, very recently AVG LinkScanner was upgraded, and my relative told me that LinkScanner would no longer display ratings in Google. I tried Bing, it didn't display them either. All there was, was a grey rating icon. Then, I placed the mouse cursor on top of that icon, and there was a message that if the user wants to get ratings, now he/she must use AVG Secure Search Toolbar -http://www.avg.com/us-en/secure-search

This Secure Search thing, seems to be using Google, but why forcing users to move to it? o_O Really low move, if you ask me.

The address is: -https://isearch.avg.com/ which also contains tracking services. :ouch: Including from Google. Makes sense. :D We also need to allow JavaScript to see search results. :thumbd: Not even Google does that. :blink:

Seriously, it seems millions of users not only are being targeted by bad guys, but also by the so-called good guys. It's a freak show, it's what it is. :eek:

I understand the "cloud" solution, but AVG Safe-Search could be changed to do that verification, rather than forcing users to move away from their favorite search engine...

I made this question sometime ago when I exposed a privacy leak in Bitdefender's TrafficLight, but anyway - security at what cost? :thumbd:

2. m00nbl00d

Anyone who tries to download AVG Secure Search toolbar, will end up here -http://media.openinstall.com/patched/2012/07/04/b3d218d52f46cdc82402e064510511e0/AVGSecureSearchInstaller.exe

I remember reading something about Open Install at Malwarebytes forum sometime ago, so I started searching for it and found it:

-https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=101345

The last comment dates from last Februrary, by one of MBAM team member.

I don't know if anything has changed, but I wonder why would a security company like AVG want to make business with Open Install? o_O

ESET also flags it as a variant of Win32/OpenInstall.

3. carat

carat Guest

First TrafficLight, now LinkScanner ... Maybe it's better to avoid these privacy killers! :(

4. m00nbl00d

I hear you... :( Also, I didn't save the link, but I've been searching at AVG own forums, and I've seen a mention from an AVG manager that LinkScanner is no longer supported... Not really sure what was meant by it. I don't know if they meant the Search-Shield component, or the full product. I hope LinkScanner itself is still supported. :ouch:

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It looks to me like AVG Threat Labs is being pushed as LinkScanner's replacement.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

too bad its only a chrome extension so far as far as i know

7. MDRockstar

MDRockstar Registered Member

Let us inform you that the AVG LinkScanner and AVG Search-Shield support was discontinued. You may use the AVG Secure Search or AVG Secure Search portal instead.

This change was made to improve performance (your computer doesn't have to scan links) and security since links are scanned more often (results are more accurate). AVG Secure Search already scan all links in real-time on server so it is no longer necessary to use AVG add-on in browser.

Note that you may change your default homepage.

Thank you for your understanding.

By AVG staff

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, a rather limited availability, I agree, if in fact true.
    I can't find anywhere else that a user can download it.

Edit in: I guess only the manual tool is available, wherein users enter the url for a full report.

9. carat

carat Guest

What a pity! I won't use secure search and avg toolbar ... :doubt:

10. fredvries

fredvries Registered Member

I use - with great satisfaction - M86 Secure Browsing. See here.

Don't be alarmed by the unwanted screen that appears because the company was recently sold to Trustwave.

11. m00nbl00d

That post by AVG staff seems to be a bit contradictory with another one I found, where my suspicions were confirmed - what was killed was Safe-Search/Search-Shield, not Surf-Shield, which provides protection against exploits.

The post you refer to was written in July 3, 2012 -http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=211433

But, the same AVG staff member says in July 4, 2012 -http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=211537

So, AVG Surf-Shield is still supported and working. AVG would benefit a lot more, if they provided a new Safe-Search/Search-Shield component that, instead of using a local database, looked up the "cloud". Much like BitDefender TrafficLight does. The only problem is that TrafficLight breaks our privacy, so it would be great if AVG could do it, but while still respecting our privacy by uploading the domain name over HTTPS and strip search queries. I doubt it will happen, though. :ouch:

12. m00nbl00d

That's what the toolbar is now for. It provides the ratings from AVG ThreatLabs. I suppose they never got people to install the crappy toolbar, and so now they took something that many probably want away, so they can force them to install it. Low move. :thumbd:

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I think they got rid of linkscanner ,because it had to be updated more often than not , practically every time firefox and other browsers were updated ,which in firefoxs case is usually every couple of weeks.Looking at other av forums (and the amount of flack recieved after a browser update breaks the addon)i can see many avs dumping the linkscanning for this reason.

14. carat

carat Guest

I think the webshield (in the paid version) makes more sense than any linkscanner ratings. :)

15. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I still have AVG Linkscanner Free installed on my PC's. I got an update today that required a PC restart. I guess that AVG is still supporting the AVG Linkscanner Free Edition.

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I finally decided to uninstall AVG LinkScanner 2012 Free.

I was unable to uninstall it with either the Start/Programs Menu Uninstaller or the Windows Add/Remove Uninstaller. The uninstall attempts would go through the motions but AVG LinkScanner 2012 Free would still appear to be there (tray Icon). So I downloaded and ran the AVG Remover 2012 (32 bit) and it appears that all of AVG LinkScanner 2012 Free was uninstalled except for the AVG Do Not Track Add-on. I Disabled the AVG Do Not Track Add-on.

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Only way I can uninstall AVG products is with Revo Uninstaller to wipe out left over traces of it.

18. Doco

Doco Registered Member

This product is a nightmare to un-install. I tried several times using the AVG un-installer and even resorted to using Revo but that failed too. There is a AVG Remover which you can download which does work, but to still leaves the AVG SafeSearch in the browser.

The AVG SafeSearch is terrible by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.