AVG is the best!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nogenius, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nogenius

nogenius Registered Member

Personally, I think that AVG Anti-virus is the best. You can download it for free or buy the professional edition.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Jebus save me.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Well, it don't necessarily agree it's the best all-around, but it's one of the best (if not the best) of the free AV's. Agreed.

5. bigc73542

It's probably almost as good as Avast

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Hey, BigC! I've heard a lot of good things about Avast lately. One of the things I like about AVG is that it is light on resources. How does it compare to Avast in that regard?

7. bigc73542

Avast does use a bit more resources but it also does more. I guess it really boils down to how much resources you are willing to give up for your protection. I would never say that AVG is not a good av I have used it in the past and it served it's purpose well. But after useing both In my opinion it is worth a little resources to get a little better av.

8. Dazed_and_Confused

I believe AVG does use hueristics. Are you saying that you believe Avast's heristics are better, or does AVG just not have as good a detection engine?

9. bigc73542

I just from personal use believe that Avast is a more stable av and I also believe that when avast does find an infection it handles them better. I am talking about the free versions. I never used the pay version of either one of them but I imagine the scan engine is the same in the free and the pay version. I think they just have more options.

10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I am unable to install AVG on my computer, as the instaler crashes every time. The uninstaller never gets installed completely either! I've heard of other people getting similar problems with it, IIRC...

As for Avast... it has no heuristics except for mail scanning, but most nasty stuff arrives by mail (which is why you shouldn't use Virus Express! :p ). RejZor, the board's famous Avast sheep, says that the frequent updates make up for the lack of heuristics in the on-demand and on-access scanners, and Alwil tends to stay on top of things - but I'm still not willing to find out the hard way if they miss something.

AVG has the least frequent updates of all (full) free AVs. It also hasn't got the best detection, last I heard. AntiVir seems to be getting better (what with addition of Win32 heuristics); if they address some of the false positives, then it will probably be better than AVG currently is.

And NoGenius, remember that free AVs look like crap compared to commercial ones like, for example, Dr. Web.

11. Dazed_and_Confused

In general your right, Pigman. I've never compared the freebies myself, but I've always heard good things about AVG, and it's recommended on Markus Jansson's site. Sorry to see you've struggled with it. I've used AVG Free, McAffee, Norton, and now NOD32. I found AVG Free better than McAffee and Norton, which are commercial versions. But in general, NOD32, KAV, in addition to others, are in a superior category of commercial AV's IMO. :)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As for the antiviruses itself i can say free avast! Home Edition easily beats Norton Antivirus. There is no doubt. Heuristics are mostly replaced by generic detection,especially for trojans/spyware,but Alwil is planning heuristics. Its hard to determin ETA,but it might be sooner then we think. avast! Pro version is somewhere on Pc-cillin level or even a bit better. And payable doesn't always mean better,remember this.

13. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

RejZoR:

Avast! better than NAV or Pc-cillin? You're mad! I think that you exaggerate with your obsession of Avast. How it would if everyone would worship his antivirus?

Well ... I can say, too: "Oh, yes, F-secure is the best antivirus because it uses very good multiple engines, (KAV, Orion, Libra), has email scanning, internet shield ..."

And we can talk, talk, talk, load, long-wind ... I recommend you to stop horses for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I used Norton for 4 years and i know how it works. Terrible... You should stop :rolleyes: And i consider something to be good when its good in multiple aspects (detection,tech support,updates speed/size,scan speed,resources usage,configuration level) not just detection as most of you classify antivirus programs.
    Whats worse then waiting 3 weeks for one stupid hotfix or waiting 1 week for one minor question about software(email)? And in the end heuristics are the most important thing out there yeah right and then svizec wraps Milka :rolleyes: Ppls just don't undestand as i noticed...

15. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Avast could be said to be better than NAV in that it hogs less RAM, and in that it is free. But its detection rates are definitely not as high as NAV's, at least the last time I checked. However, it has very frequent updates (just look at the "updates" forum), and is a pretty good AV despite being a pig. It's actually one of the top AVs, last I heard.

I wouldn't compare anything to McAffee, because in my opinion, any AV that requires you to enable ActiveX is utter crap, even if it's better than NOD otherwise. A user should rely on their brain more than their AV, so any AV that keeps you from doing what is smart is just... well, stupid. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I can easily say that avast! has better detection then NAV. I recommended avast! to almost all my friends (most of them were using NAV) and almost 3/4 of them reported that avast! found viruses/trojans on those systems. And if it found on normal users machine then its 165% a ITW sample.
    No excuses,NAV is no longer one of the best AVs. McAfee is also getting back on track of its fame with version 8.x. As far as i know ActiveX controlers are only required by on-line scanners (majority of them).

17. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

RejZoR:

I know that Avast is much, much better than Norton. Norton really sux! But I wrote my last post because I was angry on you. When I read you, you sound like real avast obsession. Come down.

18. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Guys & Girls,

There seems to be a lot of yelling and arguing going on here so I edited some of your offensive comments.

Please focus and stay calm.

Thank You

tECHNODROME

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

i used the Pro version of AVG. it was light and i really liked the checksummer and the modular interface. i hope now they are updating the database frequently. its nothing to write home about. AntiVir is far better than it. BTW Pro version is using a better engine. NAV Pro uses a lot of resources but i won't compare it with AVG.

20. ronin

ronin Guest

Too late, around here everyone worships the antiviruses, firewalls that they are using.

21. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Uh, no. I think NOD32 needs some improvements in the trojan detection department... Plus there's the business with the runtime-packers or whatever...

And ZA has some rather glaring and ugly incompatibility issues. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.