AVG internet security or Eset Smart security; how choose

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by crotale26, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crotale26

crotale26 Registered Member

i have to change my internet protection, what is the best between this two security softwares ?

can i have your advises ?

Eset smart security or AVG internet security ?

can you help me

thanks

if you can explain your choice, thanks a lot

2. starter15

starter15 Registered Member

eset's antivirus is pretty good. never used AVG so its not really fair for me to comment. but from what i hear eset is a pretty good choice.

3. crotale26

thanks for this advice

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avgs suite is pretty much tried and tested whereas esets is pretty much new so be prepared for some possible glitches over the next couple of weeks or so.That said esets has a http web scanner whereas avg does not.Even with the web scanner running eset has as light a footprint as avg.Personally i would trial both as many times, no matter which of the two YOU prefer YOUR SYSTEM might prefer the other ;)
    ellison

5. crotale26

ellison,

i am trying ESS since the first beta version and no trouble. all works great.

a lot of people say "AVG is good", so i try to evaluate if buying ESS is a good choice or if AVG will be better ?

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

If your not having any trouble with Eset ess then ,id choose that, as it has the web scanner whereas avg doesnt.The firewall in AVG is pretty much basic ,and when i had avg installed i preferred to use a different firewall to the avg one.Its antispam is very good though.Detection wise eset is probably better as borne out by av comparatives tests (though i wouldnt let that be a deciding factor when choosing an av),and as i mentioned it lacks a http scanner,so id say eset would be the better choice at present.I would still advise to trial AVG as you may prefer it to ESS
    ellison

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've used both and both have been very nice to use. I'd say AVGIS probably has the better spyware detection due to the ewido engine, however ESS probably has better overall AV detection. So i guess alot depends on your preferences. In regards to performance i feel ESS is the lighter of the two.

A bit O/T, if you're interested in some free internet protection you might want to check out blink personal from eeye digital security or mcafee viruscan plus which is offered free from AOL.

8. crotale26

thanks,

So i will be ESS because the lightness is something very important for me.

I am going to download "blink personal from eeye digital security"
    i will test it

9. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

AVG is good, but has bad heuristics. According to Matousec, the AVG firewall is not worth it because it is not much better than Window's firewall (you'd be better downloading ZAP free, PCTools, or Webroot firewall). I honestly think that AVG doesn't offer much to distinguish itself besides their ewido spyware engine.

10. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

This would be the leaktest,about which Matousec says;

"It should be noted that leak-tests probe only a few features of personal firewalls. If a firewall passes all leak-tests it does not mean it is perfect, bug free or secure in other aspects!"

Certainly Matousec hasnt fully tested it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The AVG firewall is basic at best, like the other components in the suite its designed to be simple and easy to use. The ESS firewall is pretty simple as well. If a good firewall is important to you you'd be better off just getting the standalone nod32 av or avg anti-malware and combining it with comodo, online armor or similar.

12. KrinkleKrunk

KrinkleKrunk Registered Member

I tried Eeye's Blink on a machine running XP and liked it overall. The only problem I had was it is quite resource heavy. Slowed my machine down noticeably. Same for McAfee on my laptop running Vista.

I am also trying to decide what to use in place of McAfee Internet Security Suite. Like the looks of Eset's NOD32 Antivirus but not sure about their ESS HIPS/firewall thingy. Finding a good firewall (which I am able to use and understand) for Vista has become a bit of a challenge. Trying out Jetico v2 right now.

13. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I am coming from the assumption that all those firewalls can be configured for stealth on inbound connections. I just mean it is not worth the suites' price if you can buy the AV and get a free firewall with comparable (or better) outbound detection.

14. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Well it does seem that AVG firewall certainly isnt state of the art!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.