AVG Internet Security 8.0 Open Ports

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Green Giant, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I was horrified to find that, after upgrading Atomic Time Synchroniser to version 4.1 and then 4.2 (both paid for), Ports 13 and 37 of the AVG Firewall are open. I have e-mailed AVG support, but they say in their automatic response e-mail, that it may take some time to answer.

I have tried running the Firewall Wizard in AVG, but the problem remains. All other Service Ports are stealthed and I would like Ports 13 and 37 to be so too.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. Green Giant

AVG Support has been adivsing different possible remedial steps during the past seven days, including a completely fresh installation of Atomic Time Synchroniser 4.2, but all with the same unsatisfactory outcome - Ports 13 and 37 remain open, so my PC would have been visible to wrongdoers. I have been reluctantly forced to remove this paid for software and now use a free one which doesn't compromise my PC's security.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello,

I have just looked at this "Atomic clock".

The main program; "Timesync.exe" is not keeping any ports open, it is just accessing approx 20 different sites to check the time.
    What is keeping the ports open is "ats.exe" which remains running even when "Timesync.exe" is terminated.

I do not know at this time what "ats.exe" is actually doing, as it opens ports - 13 / 37 and 1313, but have seen no data transfer to/from this app.

Unfortunately with a number of firewalls they will auto create rules for applications allowed, which can be bad at times, but a lot of users simply do not want to manually add rules or be given many popups for access.

If you want to use the clock, then you can manually add rules to block both outbound and inbound for "ats.exe", doing that should close and stealth the ports, and have not seen any problem with the timesync actually being able to check and set the time after doing so

It can take a little digging into AVG firewall to find and set the rules, so if you find this a problem I will see about installing AVG to give directions.

- Stem

4. Green Giant

Thanks for your posting Stem.

For over a week now the technical staff at AVG have been getting me to try different possible solutions, but unfortunately none has worked. LmhSoft invited me to download and install what they said was an amended version of Atomic Time Synchroniser 4.2, even though this amended version bore the same version number as before. That brought no improvement unfortunately.

I now use the free About Time 4.8, and scans from Shields Up (www.grc.com) show my PC as fully stealthed.

I did try blocking Ports 13 and 37 from incoming traffic using the AVG Firewall (part of AVG Internet Security), but that did not work either, so for the moment I am with About Time.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Did you block "ats.exe" specifically?

6. Green Giant

No, not ats.exe itself.

I just followed the steps from AVG Support re Ports 13 and 37 without success alas.

Thanks again Stem!

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The fact that support could not help you to block these open ports is not good for a vendor.

I will download AVG and take a look. I have not yet fully set up for testing again, so will see if I can install onto a laptop I have.

- Stem

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello,

Well, there is something not quite right there with AVG firewall.
    I installed the timesync app but on this setup the timesync was actually blocked without popup, it could not get correct time.

AVG did give a popup for "ats.exe" when making an online scan, which when blocked did close and stealth the port.

time.jpg

I am curious as to why AVG does not see "Timesync.exe" as it is that app that connects out for time checks.

I would say at this time it is a possible bug in AVG firewall.

- Stem

9. Green Giant

Grateful thanks Stem!

I look forward to your further thoughts in due course.

Green Giant

10. Green Giant

I think that you may be right about a bug, Stem. I believe that there is a major upgrade of AVG due in March.

11. Green Giant

Stem - just to let you know the latest.

Late last night I found that version 4.3 of Atomic Time Synchroniser had been released. When I was told about this (although no number quoted) by LmhSoft on February 19, I downloaded from the link which they gave but was surprised to find that it was still version 4.2.

Even downloading and installing version 4.3 this morning, still showed from the Shields Up scan, that Ports 13 and 37 were open.

I had a detailed e-mail from AVG, also late last night, on how to block ats.exe. I followed the steps this morning, rescanned with Shields Up, and now All Service Ports are shown as stealthed. Atomic Time Synchroniser seems to be working fine too.

Renewed thanks for your advice!

Green Giant

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Green Giant,

Thanks for the update, good to hear all working correctly now.

- Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.