Avg Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blomberg1985, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Blomberg1985

Blomberg1985 Guest

Is it worth trying?

2. Impet

Impet Registered Member

No.

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yes if you are OK without AV.

4. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

5. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

It seems like it is at least worth trying out. AVG has been scoring very well lately in standard AV testing. Of course, I have not used their free version since the late 1990's so I don't know how it is with regard to pop ups or other nag screens. I think I have read that it has lots of pop-ups or other mechanisms for trying to get you to upgrade to non-free versions. If one can ignore those things, maybe it can meet your needs.

6. Blomberg1985

Blomberg1985 Guest

Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

7. Papusan

Papusan Registered Member

last time I tried it which was 7 months ago, it corrupted my entire RAID 0 array. all data was corrupt and unreadable. Thank God I had a backup

8. Crystal_Lake_Camper

Crystal_Lake_Camper Registered Member

AVG has done some good improvements detection wise ; they upgraded their zeroday componant ( identity protection ) via crowdcloud ( thats where the browsing and other data harvesting comes in. ) and upgraded it also with some form of a.i. scanner. so this av does not rely that much on signature detection. like every othe av , AVG also suffers from good and also bad detection days. it puts a brake on the system that thing is for sure and some machines can become ustable by using it. to fund the free program , AVG is notorious for bombarding its users with ads for upgrades and also for tuning of your pc ( ads can be disabled via the settings menu ) imho it is fine to use when you do standard webrowsing , not visiting warez / crack / torrent and other dubious sites. AVG also installs ZEN , the main dashboard ( wich lots of people hate and can not be uninstalled , because then you can not use AVG ). it is NOT worth your money to upgrade to the paid versions of AVG , because all you get extra is an outbound firewall only , nothing more!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  9. Blomberg1985

Blomberg1985 Guest

I think ill pass on avg for the time being lol

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Actually it's quite a good antivirus, with good detection rates and is extremely light. The only major issus with AVG in my opinon is that is does not uninstall cleanly.

11. Crystal_Lake_Camper

Crystal_Lake_Camper Registered Member

@roger_m : you are right about that , even after removal with a third party uninstaller and their own removal tool , tons of crap are left behind in the registry and variuous folders.

12. roger_m

Yes, it's bad when their own install tool fails to remove everything. The same is true for thier PC TuneUp product. I installed it a few days ago, and when I uninstalled it, it left behind a folder with some AVG service still running.

13. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Avg is cr@p I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

14. Blomberg1985

Blomberg1985 Guest

Lol to daman1 comment

15. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I wish Avg still had 7.5 i loved that AV so light.......I've hated every other since. I need a light one that works like that again!!. Somebody needs to make one, sick of all that bloatedware

16. roger_m

I've found recent version of AVG to be extremely light, with very little system impact. This is a very good example of how an antivrus may be light on one computer and cause slowdowns on another computer.

I presume by light you are talking about system peformance rather than the disk and RAM use.

17. maddawgz

Yes mostly Ram/CPU and it was zippy little thing! ok maybe I'll try AVG again the newer one, I was just looking at 360

18. Impet

Impet Registered Member

Please bring back Grisoft 7.5 :)

19. maddawgz

Would be a dream! ......lets hound them lol

20. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

21. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Oh! I stopped at 7.5 :)

22. anon