AVG Free vs Paid

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 15, 2017.

1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I remember in the past this question being asked, but I don't remember the answers.
    My Daughter and SIL need to get new AVs. All of us have been using KISS, but decided to change. I have gone to Eset. She may be able to get one off ebay, where I got mine.

In the past AVG was not up to par in my opinion. Most folks I know used it, and I do not remenber anyone getting infected. However, according to AVC it is one of the best now. I seemsed to run well also. So my question is the free the same detection rate as the paid? It may be moot as the free will require a firewall. I used the Windows firewall with some AVs without a firewall.

Comments or help?
    Jerry

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You should be good with AVG Free if you just want a software that will protect against malware.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, it is the same detection rate.

f.y.i. : In AV-C the free version is tested, not the paid one.

i.e. =

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the help. anon, I didn't read enough, obviously.:(
    Firecat it is good to "see" you. Been a long time since we "talked".

I assume W 10 has a firewall. Will it automatically install when an AV without a firewall is installed.
    Jerry

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The Windows 10 firewall is On by default; it would only turn off if you installed a third party firewall. After installing AVG you can confirm that the firewall is on by going into Control Panel/Security & Maintenance and checking the status. By the way Windows Defender, the free AV that comes with Windows 10, is quite good; I use it along with MBAM and HMPA instead of using a third party AV. Just a thought :)

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks, Victek.
    Windows Defender has improved to a point many are using it.
    Jerry

7. gery

gery Registered Member

Avg is great

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.