AVG Free Upgraded to 8.5.278

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Just like the Paid version, the newest AVG Free version has become available via their Web site on March 2nd.

Installation File - There's a typo on this page. Both downloadable files state 8.5 for Windows yet the version column shows the correct number for each. Need to pay attention before downloading.

Documentation - Again, another typo. Both User Manuals state 8.5. Look at the version column for the correct 8.5 PDF.

Extra Protection - As you can see, AVG Free does not contain many of the features found in the AVG Paid, including their newest Identity Theft Protection.

I downloaded 8.5.278 and installed it over 8.0.237, again without the LinkScanner and AVG Toolbar. Rebooted and found that none of my settings (no scheduled scans and updates; no scan on boot) had been changed from the previous 8.0.

Have not found any changes in the UI yet, except that the Notification Ad pop-up (at the bottom of the UI) is back and the old method of preventing it from showing does not work.

I did notice a little delay on the appearance of my ZA tray icon upon boot and during this delay, via Task Manager, saw that the AVG resident shield was using about 40% CPU Usage to scan the firewall initialization. After the ZA icon's appearance, CPU Usage calmed down to nothing.

Haven't had the chance to scan the whole computer yet but will report as soon as possible. So far, excellent work by AVG not to disrupt previous settings of mine with this new version.

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Anybody noticed any important differences? (i.e. reasons for ex-AVG 8.0 Free users to migrate back?)

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lacking behavior detection, i'd say no. Thats pretty lame imo.

4. progress

progress Guest

That's right :ouch:

I noticed that Surf-Shield can be disabled separately in AVG 8.5 :blink:

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Vladimyr, this is the only available info, so far: AVG 8.5 Free - Any speciific improvements?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, this previous FAQ AVG Active Surf-Shield cannot be disabled did say that it would be fixed in an upcoming update. Thanks for confirming that!

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ran a whole computer scan and although I don't mind the wait, it was a tad slower than a previous version 8.0 scan:

v8.5.278 - Total Objects Scanned: 652,014 - 1 Hour 48 Minutes (today).

v8.0.176 - Total Objects Scanned: 996,338 - 1 Hour 29 Minutes (2 months ago).

I want to emphasize and clarify that I have removed quite a lot of downloaded software in the past month, so the difference in total objects between the scans, might not be indicative of an objects reductions by AVG. Scan process priority was set at Fast scan in both instances and no other program was running during the scans.

Only found 2 Potentially Unwanted Programs: Nirsoft's IE Password View and its Restore Point. Since I know this program is legit, I placed these 2 virus vault entries in the PUP Exceptions advanced settings and restored them.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

1 update check per 24 hours. Are they living in stone age or what? :rolleyes:

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The fact that you can easily remedy that problem with Windows' own Task Scheduler notwithstanding, that's still much better than some other vendors and their 1 update released per 24 hours.

10. progress

progress Guest

I absolutely agree! :D

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

While is true that the AVG Free version, by default, updates once a day, one can disable that automatic task, via Advanced settings, and manually update as many times as one wants. Right clicking the AVG tray icon also allows to Update now.

The Wilders' Update Alerts section does an excellent job of keeping up with all AVG updates and it's where I keep my eye out for any new updates.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, why hacking the thing when it could have that out of the box.
    No wonder why i keep on returning to avast!. I don't have to hack it into pieces just to make it half functional.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Unfortunately, no amount of hacking some other vendor's product to shreds is going to make them update any faster. With AVG you get a 2-minute, permanent, and unobtrusive workaround. With product X there's nothing you can do about it.

14. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

So glad I've never used 'product X' - do they advertise? :D

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

May I remind everyone of Wilders' General Policy Statement - Antivirus Section and that this thread's intention is to point out details of and discuss AVG's newest Free version update only, not a comparison between other AV products.

Update: Installation Files - the 8.0.237 version download has been removed.

16. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Hello is this something that can be disabled?Cos i tryed the pro version a week ago without any other security software installed and when i noticed this i dumped it.If it's a scan at start-up feature that can be unchecked ,and i missed it during my short trial i will like to know.
    Thanks

17. robinb

robinb Registered Member

do you need to uninstall 8.0 to get this because i am not seeing it come through the updaterin the free version nor the paid version?

robin

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  18. progress

progress Guest

It is only possible to upgrade by running a repair installation mode (download the 8.5.278 package and run it on your computer, you'll see the option). Program update is planned to be released in the nearest future to all AVG Free 8.x users. ;)

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

virtumonde, the funny thing is that I have disabled the scan on boot via Tools > Advanced settings > Schedules > Scheduled scan > Enable this task and yet the Resident Shield seems "nosier" in this latest version than before.

The ZA tray icon is still a bit slow to show up and I can see the same 40% or so CPU usage during this process yet it does come down as soon as the icon appears. I'm willing to live with it but I'm keeping an eye on their forum for any future potential ZA conflicts.

Update: no sooner did I visit their forum, I found this issue with ZA: AVG 8.5 - increased boot time?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, as ance pointed out, the only way for now is to install over 8.0.237. Their News page still talks about 8.0 but you know us Wilders members, we have to play around with any software before the general public takes a stab at it. ;)

21. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I was just surprised because it was announced in the reseller email to come out officially March 2, and normally when this happens, it becomes available in the updater for both the free and the pro versions. Also the newest version is official on their website. Why would they put it as officially on their website if not for the general public? Once they do this it should be pushed through the updater. If it was not for the email and of course those in here I would not know about it and my clients and the world would have no idea that there is even a newer version unless they see something popup in AVG to tell them to update to a newer version.

I was even surprised when i downloaded the free version on one of my test computers that has 8.0 and noticed the only way to install it was to do a repair- which i thought was dumb since there is nothing wrong with 8.0- why repair it? or uninstall it completely then do the upgrade- that was the option i picked. Most regular users who saw this would freak out and not know what to do since they would think if they did a repair it would mess up their 8.0 and if they clicked the uninstall would think it would uninstall the 8.0 and then they would not realize all they would have to do is click the exe again to install. Not everyone in this world is an IT person.
    robin

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

this was a boo boo- just ignore

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, I have a feeling that AVG is unsure about this version, not so much for the Free user, because, with the exception of the slow ZA boot, it's working the same as the 8.0 version did in my PC, but maybe they are concerned with the Pro version and the addition of the new Identity Theft Protection feature. I could be wrong.

Should someone get 8.5 via the updater, please post!

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It is unlikely the paid versions will receive an automatic upgrade to version 8.5 because the changes are quite major; I would guess AVG would not want to take any risks with the "sudden" integration of the Sana technology. Which probably means that there will most likely be just a notification for the upgrade to 8.5 rather than an actual downloadable program upgrade.

I have not had a chance to try the new version out due to my examinations which will continue till the 12th of this month. As soon as I am finished with my exams, I will give the new version a try (paid version).

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.