AVG Free Is Killing My Cpu

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mr2cents, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I installed Avg free this afternoon. I thought I would use it until I decided which antivirus I wanted to trial next. This thing is tearing my cpu up. :rolleyes: What have they done to this. I used it back about a year ago for a while. It was light then. Now it's a mega monster. :eek:

My computer isn't able to run it. This is unbelieveable. I've used avast, Kav, Panda, Bitdefender Standard, f-prot, Nod32, Mcafee, and probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

None of those mentioned have ever did this. I have avg disabled for now. I know everyones computer runs differently with software configurations. I guess I'm going to have to try a lighter antivirus. Norton maybe :D

Is anyone else having this problem with Avg?

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O I also used the old AVG 6.0 an loved it. This new AVG 7.0 SUCKS however. Although I think the updater is a hunk of junk, an down loads are bulky, AntiVir/PE does not utilize much resources and appears to do a fair job. I have tried AVAST also, but it appears to be a CPU hog as well, plus it placed operating files in my windows/temp directory, an they could only be deleted in safe mode.

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O :rolleyes:

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AVG free is a bit heavier, and it's the weakest of the freebies for detection. Anti-Vir PE or Avast presently are better choices.

4. Mr2cents

Hi Wildman. I liked avg 6.0 also. This avg 7.0 is ridiculous. Avast wasn't that hard on my cpu. Although everyones system is different. Take a look at this screenshot. Cpu is maxed out :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Mr2cents

Hi bellgamin. I'll agree it's detection is slightly less than the other 2. I've used all 3. I've only used antivir as on demand.

I'm only keeping it on here for a little while. I'm talking about cpu usage though.

Everones system is different. I'll agree that it's also heavier than the other 2.

It's also heavier than Panda

It's also heavier than Kav

It's also heavier than Bitdefender Standard

It's also heavier Than Trend micro, Nod32, F-prot

I'm only talking cpu usage here, not memory. This pertains to my setup only. everyone elses setup may vary.

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I agree. I think probably there's a program loading that is fighting with AVG 7. You might try disabling them one at a time and rebooting to see if the issue can be pinpointed.

7. bellgamin

You might also try checking your system with Process Explorer -- it's free & splendid. It will show you the cpu usage & other data for EACH process that's running.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

The lightest AV I have ever used and still do is e trust v7 promo. (free) It has both Vet and InoculateIT engines . It is still available .
    Disabling most of the unnecesary windows services can help to both harden up your system and lighten it up . http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

9. waters

waters Registered Member

I agree.
    I have tried many, and the promo version is very light
    Updates every day

10. Mr2cents

Folks I believe I figured out what was wrong. I had forgotten that I had previously ran this same version before without any problems. When I installed AVG yesterday, I installed it through a program called "total uninstall". This was my first time to use "Total uninstall" program....So I think I did something wrong, not being familiar with total uninstall.

Anyway, I'm blaming it on a bad install....since I had previously ran this same version of AVG without the high cpu usage. I'm not blaming "total uninstall" program... I'm blaming the operator ....Me :D Sorry about the false alarm. :)

Anyway, I uninstalled AVG last night and purchased Nod32.

11. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

I gave up on AVG. I loved and felt safe with the older versions. But recently I took the advice of others here and downloaded Avast. Im real happy with this program. AVG just didnt bite the Dust for me.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Anti-virus background scanners work by checking files as they are read or written so if there is a program that continually reads or writes to a file then this may cause the scanner to use up all available CPU in repeated scans. This can be resolved by excluding the file in question (since such files tend to be data or log files this is normally safe) - run FileMon to find out what file(s) are causing the problem.

13. wildman

:rolleyes: Simple question. Why did there not appear to be any problems with AVG 6.0 and now there appears to be problems with AVG 7.0? Is it just me, or do others think AVG 7.0 is messed up? I install AVG 7.0 and my system slows way down, this did not happen with the AVG 6.0 and I have not changed a thing. I uninstall AVG 7.0 and my system runs like normal, what conclusion am I to draw?

Thanks
    wildman
    :) ;) :p

14. Hello Wildman,

You are correct there was no problem with version 6.0,it ran perfectly!,never a problem ever!,until version 7.0 cameout,and yes it also slowed down my system,I tried to make it as light as possible reading the options/changing,but really did not help much,scan all files,or there default setting which scan's certain files only,I fix computers if you got the ram it will run no problem,it seems to be people with older computers before XP cameout,I removed all unnessary startup files and still it was sucking my system resources up bad,there is alot more in version 7.0 running in the background,compared to version 6.0 which was very basic(light),so I found Avast free worked on my computer and my friends,it takes longer to do a scan but it's free and does a great job,I was alway's changing back and forth,but when AVG 7.0 came out,I found Avast was the solution to my computer becoming sluggish from the new AVG 7.0.(Quote by you Wildman) what conclusion am I to draw? Uninstall it and try something lighter for your system,unless you are willing to buy more ram? I tried everything,funny thing is I have programs that use 3 times more system resouces than AVG 7.0,but yet it has no effect on my speed,but if I install AVG 7.0 my computer becames the same as yours slow to boot and very sluggish messed-up!,too bad 6.0 was really good never got one virus in 6 years and light on your system,but Avast is just as good or even better,but some people have problems with Avast,but that person, there computer was very old and really needed an upgrade.Good luck

15. wildman

:) Nice to see that there are some straight forward an honest individuals willing to discuss these issues in a rational manner. The wildman appreciates it and thanks you.

I am now back to utilizing AntiVir/PE. I think this is a fair protection program, however the updater an method to obtain update files is in my opinion an other matter altogether. This is the major deterrent for this one in my humble opinion.

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O :eek:

16. bellgamin

There was a major program update to AVG 7-free on 3/2/05. TWO major program upgrades to AntiVir-PE in the past few days. It's now at program 6.30.00.10; engine 6.30.0.5. Both are faring much better lately with VirBulletin tests.

17. Hello Wildman,
    AntiVir/PE is very good also,I did not mention it because if your are new to AV software(not you!,but new people just starting out),AntiVir/PE can give out a few flase postives(when set on High scanning mode),but once you tell AntiVir/PE it's part of your system and not a virus and to let it be!, things work great!.The updater yes, it is a pain,odd thing!,you could not have put it any better!.
    I wonder if there is a pay version?,never looked in that.But when you first install AntiVir/PE they ask to to fill out a few Questions and one being, "What would you like to see improved? I have been telling them for 2 years the updater could be better please? I tried it a few months ago,alway's get a flase postive on the first scan when set too high,the updater as you said is another matter,also depends on your O/S,on Windows Me,many people that I fix there computers get a flase postive on there first scan if set too high,and I look and it is part of there O/S and fix it so it leaves it alone,and everything is fine.So you are correct, AntiVir/PE is another fine choice of free AV software.

18. wildman

:rolleyes: Just checked the English site for AntiVir/PE, an once again it appears to be down. This has been an occurring problem with AntiVir/PE over the years. AntiVir/PE may or may not be a good product, I don't have the expertise to make that call. However I can state that the method required to maintain the English version of AntiVir/PE flat sucks. Thus anyone thinking about using this product should be made aware of this draw back.

Thanks
    wildman
    :doubt:

19. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

You really need to try avast. It runs great on older machines. and I agree more memory is the answer, its the Poor mans upgrade. Avast is a great AV and is light on resources.

20. wildman

:) O.k., I'll try it one more time, but if it puts crap in my windows/temp directory, like it did before, it will be uninstalled as fast as I can accomplish it.

Thanks
    wildman
    :p :D

21. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Guess your going to have a fast uninstall :eek:

Is there a reason something shouldn't use "windows/temp directory" whats the harm ? what is "windows/temp directory" suppose to be used for ?

As far as I know Avast! uses windows/temp directory to store temp files it uses while running, it doesn't use it for main program files.

22. wildman

:) To answer your question: The windows/temp file is utilized by more than just AVAST. AVAST put files in this directory that could only be deleted in safe mode, to me that is unacceptable. If AVAST needs to run files, they should be contained in the AVAST program files directory. The harm is the control was taken away form the owner of the machine!

Thanks
    wildman
    :rolleyes: :p

23. wildman

:mad: Talk about your slow down! Good gawd, my machine slowed to beyond a snail pace. AVAST once more got uninstalled from my machine. I don't know why, but once uninstalled, my machine is back to running normal. I will not be trying AVAST again anytime soon I think. Although the update method is a royal pain, an I will continue to complain about it, for the time being AntiVir/PE seems to work the best on my machine.

Thanks
    wildman
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.