AVG configuration

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Okay, as of right now, I dont know if I should have AVG boot scanner on (Start AVG>Serivce>Program Settings) I attached the screenshot of it, the only reason WHY I dont want to do it, is it says it will edit the autexec.bat file, Uhh.. anyone that uses it bootup, etc, tell me how it works, and if its worth it?

Attached Files:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Comp01,

First, you should probably take a look inside your autoexec.bat file and see if there are any AVG references in there already. At install time, AVG may have added something based upon the install options used. (Let's assume that C: is the partition where Windows is installed on your system, so check "c:\autoexec.bat" for current contents.)

The line added to autoexec.bat for triggering an AVG6 bootup virus scan on Windows 9x systems is:

@c:\progra~1\grisoft\avg6\bootup.exe

If that line is in your autoexec.bat and the option shown in the image you attached above is selected, then AVG6 will perform a small anti-viral scan at bootup. It checks the boot sector and the root directory for common virus signatures. It's not a very deep scan. It runs very quickly prior to Windows starting, and as far as I can tell, there are no downsides to using this feature. So, I recommend setting it.

I hope that helps,
    LowWaterMark

3. LowWaterMark

If you do enable the bootup scan, note that you may see some screens related to AVG when your system boots. The image below represents a typical AVG boot scan screen progression under DOS prior to Windows starting.

Attached Files:

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Well, in C:\autoexec.bat there are NO entries on that, now in C:\Windows\Command\Ebd\Autoexec.bat there are, but none for AVG. Also, will enablign this effect my low-end system? (lol, its slow :doubt:)

5. LowWaterMark

The bootup scan does not change how Windows runs at all. Nor does it use any Windows resources at all because it runs in DOS prior to Windows even starting. The entire effect is that it adds literally a few seconds to the boot time.

In the three screen images above, screen one provides an option for you to skip the running of the boot scan. The "Press ESC to cancel..." paints the dots (one at a time) over a 3 second period or so in order to allow you to press the ESC key to stop the boot scan from running. So, that's 3 seconds added to boot time.

The second screen shows the actual scan. On my Windows 95 Pentium 200 Mhz 128MB system it takes 2 seconds. The third screen is the summary display. It pauses on the screen for another 2 to 3 seconds so you can read it. At that point, the AVG boot scan exits and the rest of the Windows boot process resumes unaltered. Maximum impact to boot time might be 10 seconds unless you press the ESC button when noted.

Otherwise, as mentioned above this does not change the Windows environment at all. It's a single program that runs and exits before Windows starts.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Lol, yeah, pretty close, my system is a Windows98SE 200Mhz Pentium Pro, 64MB's of RAM :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.