AVG Antivirus Free 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I've tried it on two Windows 7 PCs, 32 bit and 64 bit, and it's been very light. What operating system are you using?

2. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

AVG is so heavy the airlines won't let me take my laptop on airplanes. Whenever I go out of town I have to have it shipped by rail.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that was great and i agree.......

4. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

AVG is so light I tie a string to my laptop and use it as a balloon at birthday parties.

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree. Not sure why people think AVG is heavy. I think they see all the processes and just assume that makes it use a lot of resources.

6. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

7. Phillip_Likes_PC

Phillip_Likes_PC Registered Member

I use AVG the free version and it has worked ok for me as yet, but it might be also because I've been using additional ressources to keep my pc safe, firewalls, malware scanners, etc. I've also recently discovered www.avgthreatlabs.com, which I sometimes use to check how safe are the website I'm usually browsing.

Cheers

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

rofl..that was a great laugh..:D :D

9. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Thank you. I've peppered a few other threads with similar sarcasm in response to the pathetically useless "heavy/light" posts. Without reference to what's running, an entry level Celeron 935 or a loaded Quad Core i7 desktop, the discussion is worthless. But that's the anecdotal environment that Wilderz slipped into years ago. Oh, you're running an AMD M320 and the app is "heavy"? Well... DUH! Norton runs "light" on your six-core AMD? WOW - thanks Einstein!

Wow. No reboot needed; long time since that's happened. On my XP SP3 boxes, at least.

ROFL LOL :thumb:

Attached Files:

10. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

:D :D :D That was 7.5

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It makes sense to have that rating, though. AVG Threat Labs gets data from AVG LinkScanner. AVG LinkScanner scans for exploits. We're in a security forum, where sometimes people place examples of exploit code, rather than images. So, LinkScanner blocks it, and those users who have the reporting enabled, will send such data to AVG.

12. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

13. snippits

snippits Registered Member

14. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

15. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

LODBROK, if I was wearing hats I would lift it off to you good sir. xD

For anyone still thinking this way, open up Task Manager, choose View, Select Columns..., then mark I/O Reads, click OK, sort by the new tab and then check what is using most, think through if it is something you need. AVs and AMs tend to be VERY HIGH in this area, and it is what is slowing down your computer if you're using an HDD and not an SSD (please note I've yet to buy an SSD but this is my theory -points to flash based-technology-). The same goes for automatic defragmenters, but in the case of defragmenters, just analyze if they're causing any slowdown or you can ignore their usage.

End of story, done, I'm outta here, cheers

16. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  17. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Thanks Mops.

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

19. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I have read a number of posts in this thread and find them all interesting and constructive.

However, the entire thread of 243 posts at the time of my writing is nothing more than interesting reading matter to me.

I have used AVG in various versions for a long time and currently have AVG 2011 Free version 10.0.1390. It has worked impeccably with no problems at all ever since I installed it. I don`t even know it is there until it sends me a message.

Heavy, light, too many thingy`s etc. ? Who cares - I don`t. It is a great customer friendly AV program.

Well done AVG.

John

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I haven't used AVG in years... ever since I discovered the free versions of Avira & Avast, which I just found to be better. But it served me well. I installed it after my paid version of McAfee ran out. I heard about it and figured I'd try it out before dropping the coin on another disappointment, as at the time McAfee & Nortons were the only paid AV's I knew of. I didn't browse sites like this back then and wasn't well informed.

I liked it better than McAfee, and figured to myself "heck, this free stuff is better than the paid". I wouldn't describe it as light or heavy. It was quite average, in every regard. Sufficient. McAfee sucked, and Nortons was so unstable back then that one may as well have just lived with malware instead of installing it. So AVG looked great by comparison.

That was the last time I paid for an AV until just 2 weeks ago. Avira Personal was on my machine the vast majority of the time, with 2 stints of Avast Free, which I also liked. But when this license runs out I think I may give AVG a try to see what it's like these days. I have fond memories of it, and it's earned another chance. I wish I had an extra box to use to test things out like many of you do. I'd try it right now. Maybe I'll make that investment, cuz I like to play with things :D

21. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  22. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Thanks Mops.

Release notes are live now.

23. windowsdefender

windowsdefender Registered Member

AVG free is OK, it it light but the ads are annoying.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.