AVG Antivirus Free 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Are there many people using it? What do you think of it?

2. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Blowing off all the bellyaching about "too many processes" and "heavy," I have it running on a really fast i7 box which doesn't even know AVG is there.

I installed it on a friend's Atlhon 1700+ and she complained about some sites taking too long to render (XP/SP3, Firefox/Sandboxie, 7Mbps cable). They turned out to be your typical pop culture/social/media sites loaded down with 10-15 trackers, half a dozen Flash vids with associated LSOs and port 1135 connections, twatter and farcebook feeds, scripts for every "share this" service on the planet, etc. etc. etc. etc. I suppose LinkScanner might be slowing these down because maybe, just maybe, it's... Doing it's job and scanning all that garbage! The same sites on my i7 pop right up.
    EDIT: see post #14 below.

Considering the behavior blocker in the v9 Internet Security suite is now included and with their new cloud component AVG 2011 Free is as good as or better than any other free offering out there. AVG v9 IS always got great results in independent tests.

I only wish I could skin it with some puke green and orange vomit splat theme.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
  3. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

1. I'm not. 2. It's inarguably their best effort to-date, but they can't give it away to me.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

to many issues for me including bsod's from the link scanner

5. gery

gery Registered Member

i have licenses for both IS and the paid version but using none at the moment. I have heard that the free is better than the paid in terms of lightness and has less problems. But AVG is going downhill pretty fast:thumbd:

6. gery

gery Registered Member

i already said it is about the paid i was talking and yes the free is lighter and somewhat has less issues

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I miss the good old days of AVG v7 Free.
    Since version 8, AVG has lost its way...:thumbd:

8. gery

gery Registered Member

i still have a CD with AVG antivirus Spyware from 7.5 time and i try to install it in my old computer.

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like it, but I only run the base component with IDP. When run like that, it is very light in the three key areas (CPU, disk io, ram).

10. icr

icr Registered Member

I tried AVG FREE version some days back. It was light on resources and yeah do have to say it does run tons of process but still it felt hardly anything was running didn't encounter any slowdowns and also had a great time while evaluating it. After I got a license for AVG IS from a giveaway I switched to AVG IS:)

11. flik

flik Registered Member

I did not expect to say it ever, but, after some little tests I've done, I think that avg free offers the best free protection out there. The IDP module is excellent, it's the first time I see it in action, and it managed to change my opinion about avg.
    And it's quite light, and very fast at scanning.

12. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

New version released today fixing quite some bugs.

13. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Sputnik, you beat me to it. :D

Lo and behold the day after I post up about my friend's slow loading of the garbage laden crapola pop culture/social/media Web sites, AVG releases an update. I spoke to her earlier - no more slowdown!

Folks, we have a NEW BENCHMARK OF EXCELLENCE here at Wilders: The Lost & Downhill Rating. :thumb: :thumb:

14. Sputnik

Personally I think AVG Free 2011 is very good, where the older AVG Free versions couldn't impress me because essential stuff was missing. There indeed are bugs present but we also saw at least three bugfixing releases within less then a month it was released. I would say just report the bugs you might encounter on their forums and enjoy this free jewel :)

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

LOL! :thumb:

Ranks right up there with my personal favorite , the "Wilders FanBoy Syndrome" ;)

16. robinb

robinb Registered Member

same here and i had it for the paid version on two separate client computers running xp home and xp pro sp3, which i had to uninstall it because it slowed them down to a crawl.

On the others running the free version (all on xp) all of them had some problem or another.

I am wondering if AVG made this to work on Windows 7 better than xp.
    I put Avast on all the xp machines and MSE on the Windows 7 ones

robin

17. gery

gery Registered Member

@ LodBrok and anyone who doesn't like the posts in this free forum and free world
    especially to the moderators
    well it is not the first time that anytime i say something about one of the fanboys or girls AVs it really comes up to them as though i have got into their private property or i have stepped their own feelings. Well something is for sure not going well . You may oppose my facts or my statements but not me personally. Here we can say almost everything and i repeat almost but no one can or has the right sarcasm with people here. So please do consider others . this is not the only forum in the world but i have found it to be somewhat better than others in terms of respect and if that goes downhill too there is not a great loss to just be out of here.
    i am insulted and i really do not like this.:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

18. Sputnik

@gery
    Please don't feel personally insulted. I think that what LODBROK means that in his opinion there are certain 'trends' going on here on Wilders. There are quite some topics around where products are rated like he days 'lost or downhill' due personal bad experiences with products. He puts this in a sarcastic perspective in general. Therefore I don't think it's meant to be a personal insultion towards you.

19. carat

carat Guest

I second that! :thumb:

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Guess what's on the 1st place of your "Rating"... AVG :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  21. Sputnik

Yet another small update.

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

+1

bring 7 GUI backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, or make it like Antivir free light simple gui..

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like their new GUI, and if you only install AV+IDP, it is very light. In fact one of the lightest when factoring CPU time, disk io, and memory.

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed i think the new gui is well cluttered and not very user friendly for many users. i also think it could look a LOT better not that i use a av based soley on its gui but i do think they could have done a much better job. not everyone will agree but...

25. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

GRISOFT LISTEN TO US LOL CHANGE 2011 ?.........woops bit excited there just tryin to get em to listen to us :p

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.