AVG Antispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

First, I am a supporter of SAS. But over time have found that comparing it to AVG-AS it just doesnt cut the mustard. I have the utmost respect for Nick, but urge you folks to try AVG-AS out. It is free, it does update, regardless of what some say. And it scans very well. The developers are still heavily involved in the product, so all I am saying is, just give it a new try, you may be surprised.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

What's the purpose of this thread? o_O :doubt:

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the same as all of them. To talk about AVG-AS. Did I do something wrong? I like the product.:shifty:

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Of course, no :D
    Good for you :)
    Really, there isn't any "bad" product (at least those disclosed here at Wilders), app A has certain abilities not present in app B and so on. In the end, all comes down to the user:
    - Patience.
    - Skills, knowledge.
    - Pattern of use.
    - Approach to security.
    - Risk management.
    - Discipline or lack of.
    For example, I'd never use a security suite, no matter the developer. I preach the rational, "user-centric", minimalist and layered approach to security. Which role does AVG AS plays in this strategy? On-demand scanning of new files (Ewido command line scanner)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its nice to see a thread about someone liking a product rather than posting because they have problems with some software.
    lets hope you dont change your mind next week:D
    lodore

6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have reinstalled my AVG Internet Security Suite recently, but didn't install the Antispyware Component. I did however install a-squared Anti-Malware because of it's Guard. the AVG AS guard while reported as being very good simply doesn't offer all of what the a-squared Guard does, with Behavioral Detection being the major one. I obviously am not afraid to use the AVG AV and FW, but I do think Grisoft has really dropped the ball with their AS. I am however only talking RealTime Protection here, and will say that I hear the On Demand detection of AVG AS is pretty good.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I would like to try AVG AS newest version, but unfortunately, my computer doesn't like it :( . When the large update came, I received an error during the install. I even tried a freshly downloaded version.

I like having many on demand AS/AMs. It's like having several second opinions. Let's face it, if your doctor told you that you have a terminal disease, you would want a second opinion. It's a shame doctors don't give free second opinions :cautious: .

8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

9. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

I think the major problem with AVG AS is that it's designed to run in Vista and not the older operating systems. Some non Vista users like me have reported problems running AS on their computers, i'm not sure if Grisoft's planning to fix them or simply ignore us and focus on the Vista bugs. To minimize compatibility issues, they should probably release a version designed specially for older OS like Windows XP, 2000 and ME.

Other than that is the problem with their marketing skills. The previous version had the failed to update bug and Grisoft just kept quiet for about a month while users continued to report the problem. This is a bad way to promote a product and will definitely cause them many potential customers. I didn't pay for AVG AS but my company did and the technical support staffs were furious from the lack of response from Grisoft, this made them uninstall AS from the company computers.

With the path Grisoft is taking, i'm not really sure if they are doing justice to a once great product from Ewido.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: AVG? you must be kidding! after they cut off EWIDO's lifetime license, how much credibility their soul can offer? It is another SARS, I would not dare to go near it. There are so many other AS (i mean freeware out here), why on earth do you want to try this bad apple, regardless their superior quality, if any. The OP mentioned SAS, I would try it first, although it also offers a lifetime licence( may risk the very same fate as Ewido, but its support/quality is much superior to AVGAS, for this matter). Have a nice one.

11. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

After using both AVGAS and SAS on real live, fairly heavily infected machines, I won't even use AVG anymore. It always leaves things behind that SAS cleans up and finishes, and from the get go, SAS gets it all (except for viruses).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.