AVG AntiMalware And Eicar Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I wonder if someone can help me with this. I just installed AVG AntiMalware 7.5. trial. I went to the eicar.com site to see how AVG AM does. I use Firefox as my default browser. When I click on any of the eicar test buttons using Firefox, there is no pop up warnings from AVG. When I do the same tests using IE 7, the AVG warnings pop up.

I've checked out other AVs at eicar.com, but never had a lack of pop up warnings with any AV and Firefox. AVG AM it the first. Any ideas why this would happen with AVG and Firefox?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG Anti-Malware works fine with Eicar using SeaMonkey.....

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

graystoke, have you got on-access scanning enabled in the resident shield?

4. Graystoke

I guess SeaMonkey is basically Firefox with extras? Strange that I can't get AVG Anti-Malware's warning pop ups using Firefox 2.0.0.4. I don't want to switch to IE 7 as my default.

5. Firecat

SeaMonkey is based on Firefox but also has extra components like an email client, composer etc. I have no idea why this should happen with FF because I have not used FF since version 1.5, but you may try installing K-meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net) or K-Ninja (http://www.geocities.com/grenleef), which are also based on FF but offer only the browser without the extra components. Try these browsers and see what happens....

6. Graystoke

Good news. :D I got it working. I checked out Properties again in Resident Shield just to double check. There was no check mark in On-Close Scanning, so I checked it. That did it. :D

Thanks Firecat and C.S.J. :)

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

told ya so :)

8. Graystoke

Yeah, you did. I shouldn't have doubted you. ;) :)

9. Firecat

Theoretically speaking, that option should not have made a difference. It is disabled by default due to performance considerations on some PCs. Even the help file for AVG doesn't say that it improves the protection level greatly.

Of course, the help file also says this:

So basically if this option is not enabled then the files are only detected upon access by the user. It doesn't really reduce your protection level.

10. Graystoke

What was strange about this was, that before I checked on-closing, the warning pop ups worked with IE7, and not Firefox. I'm thinking I might do an uninstall and reinstall to see if things work differently with on-closing not checked. I'll have to do that tomorrow. I'm running out of time today.

11. Graystoke

Hi. Just an update on the Firefox/eicar situation. I sent an e-mail to AVG tech support the same day I started this thread, last Saturday, July 14. I received a reply this morning. I guess they take the weekends off. ;) :) There advise was to do what I already did, put a check mark in On-close scanning in Resident Shield. At least that confirms that what I did was correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.