AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Damn ugly user interface. Why couldn't they leave it be as it was? It was smoother to the view. This dark UI, with practically no contrast between colors, makes my eyes hurt a bit.

I was hoping for a total remake... At least, regarding the colors.

Nice to know IDP is available for free version, though.

2. jason_jiang

jason_jiang Registered Member

3. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Identity Protection in action ....

Attached Files:

• 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Is IDP also available on 64bit operating systems? Usually behavior blockers aren't available under 64bit...

5. AvinashR

I am not sure about this, but i guess they are providing Identity protection in x64 version too ...

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Oh god, have they tested this thing for basic functionality. It's so buggy i've seen better coded alpha programs.

Glitchy GUI, glitchy scan ratings, exclusions that don't work. Makes me wonder what else i'll find...

Tried trojan simulator. One file is detected on-access. Then i click Add to exclusions and the file is gone. I try to extract it from ZIP again and it's again detected. WTF!? The exclusions list is of course empty even after 3 attempts... Lame.

EDIT:
    After disabling Resident protection i could test IDP with Trojan Simulator and it was detected by IDP. Yey :D Gotta try few file infectors to se how it handles them. They seem to be the most problematic to (at least some) behavior blockers.

7. AvinashR

I am still confused why you are facing such problems ... Right now i have tested AVG with many samples and it performed well .. But now my system is heavily infected with couple of viruses which led my system frequent BSOD's

8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Re: AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security® 10 (2011)

No problems here on Win 7 Ultimate 32.

9. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

So ur system is heavily infected coz avg let malware pass ?:blink:

10. m00nbl00d

They seem to have killed AVG IDP as a stand-alone version. :(

I can't find it at free.avg.com. Damn it! Nor at www.avg.com. I also see the info that states IDP is not available for free version. I guess they forgot to mention it is part of it. At least, for what I've seen in this thread.

11. AvinashR

It allowed 3 Malwares ...

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

That explains why IDP was selling for $2.50 the past couple weeks. If they killed it as stand alone from their site, that pretty much confirms it is included in their apps now. The free version had it in the beta, and the final version shows it in the installer and in the GUI.

Regarding protection, for the heck of it five night last week I check it against zero day malware. I caught about 95% of the threats, which would place it second behind CIS for free software. This is not an expert test/review, but I suspect AVG with IDP will out perform the other free non-HIPS offerings.

13. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I am a bit confused.

It seems that the Free Version has ID Protection and the Online Shield!
    So what the heck is the differences between the free and the pro version?? =)

If that is what AVG free is for the feature... damm! That would be really awesome!

14. m00nbl00d

Yes, but it would still be great to have it as a stand-alone. Well, one can always install AVG Free and only leave IDP on. I guess that would work just fine. Still, it would be nice to have it as stand-alone. After all, they did keep Linkscanner as stand-alone. (Lets hope they won't take it back! Heck!)

15. AvinashR

Holy Crap!! My test system is now heavily infected and AVG was unable to remove malwares which injected itself in various process like SVCHOST ... Though i have saw that AVG Identity Protection pop-ups after every couple of minutes but it was not able to remove everything..

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

According to this comparsion http://www.avg.com/eu-en/free-antivirus The Identity Protection module is only included in the Internet Security Suite and not in the Stand-alone AV.

But I thought that Avinash was running the AV only?:doubt:

18. gery

gery Registered Member

the pro has it included as i have it on mine.

19. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

ya according to this link idp is not in free... whats goin on o_O?

20. AvinashR

I am running PAID version of AVG Anti-Virus 2011 and it does have IDP ..

I have tested it with 100 Samples (On-Access) and many like TDSS able to bypass it ... Even AVG was unable to remove the running process.. I always get unsuccessful pop-up window .. Though it was able to block many samples but TDSS is still hard to block..

21. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Most likely they are still updating their site. Last a checked they had not even opened the AVG 2011 free forum area.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It's one of two things. Either IDP was included during beta testing, and they somehow forgot to remove it from the final release (unlikely). Or they just forgot to updated that part of the comparison chart (likely).

I guess a third scenario is that the Pro version includes an "enhanced" version of IDP as compared to the free version. But this quote from the CNET review may be telling:

"It's potentially big news that AVG Free has made the threat detection engines in the free version identical to its premium-upgrade siblings."

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, Online Shield is only in payable versions, LinkScanner and SafeSearch is in free version.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Another difference with the Pro version is the frequency for AV signature updates. The free version is scheduled for 1x per day, though you can do it manually more often if you like. I believe the Pro version automatically does it every 4 hours.

25. m00nbl00d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.