AVG Anti-Spyware [Paid] vs. CounterSpy V2 and Webroot SpySweeper.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Relemar, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Who's the winner, I have license keys for AVG and Webroot, but not bought CounterSpy V2 yet.

Which is the best, and what is your choice? Thanks.

2. Relemar

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Here u say, u have both.

( link to deleted thread removed - it was simply an incomplete, duplicate posting of this thread, not a statement he owned CounterSpy V2 ) - LWM

If I am not wrong I read ur posts about SAV corporate version too.
    Are u really buying all this without trialing them or krakkkk?Hmmm
    Excuse me for that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  4. Relemar

For a start why would I use "Krakkkks", that's pathetic.

I am just saying I have CounterSpy and AVG Anti-Spyware, and might buy Webroot. That's legal ok?

I only wanted to know which one is the best, what does kraks have to do with it?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry, just as I read u posting about a lot of software, even about Symantec AV corporate and not knowing that it upgrade is not free.
    Anyway it was just a crazy thought came in my mind. Sorry.
    i don,t use any of these antispywares except AVG free on-demand and that is also basically to check some malware files that I intentionally download, otherwise i don,t need it much.
    I believe a real time good AV is enough, it will cover spyware/ adware too.

6. Relemar

That's okay ;), I'm a fairly experienced user just wanting opinions. I'm not a Symantec lover either, KIS and CounterSpy V2 ftw! Absolutely awesome.

You should get them, great solid protection.

Thank you ;) Don't get SD get CS.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u are experienced user, ditch all scanners. Use KIS plus a HIPS( like SSM) &/or a sandbox. Just search, in the forums, for HIPS threads and SandBoxes.

Finally FDISR plus imaging( ShadowProtect). That,s all. No more scanners.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  8. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I can say that counterspy is good, I would trial it awhile back, and then version 2, it's just that somehow I would always encounter problems that most would encounter also. Some that come to mind would be it would feel like I'm running two or three antispyware programs at one time, it was heavy when I would use it. Then I would config some options and it would never stay the same and never work, or just the random freeze up, I don't know if they fixed these problems yet, cause that last time I used it was when version 2 barley came out. I tried out avg antispyware 30 day trial and it was good, pretty good actually, it would run nice and smooth on my computer, it's just I don't think the real-time protection is up to par with others maybe, who knows.:D But, if you don't mind me telling you which ones I do like, they would have to be Superantispyware pro, it has top-notch support and it runs really good on my computer, to tell you the truth it's the best I've used yet. Another one I want you to try for me is Trend Micro Anti-spyware, it's not popular at all on wilders, but I challenge you to tell me that it's not good, because if I would recommend another anti-spyware is would have to be trend micro anti-spyware.:D

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont know why trend micro antispyware isnt popular on wilders since its a top rate antispyware app.
    its alot lighter than say counterspy and spysweeper.
    superantispyware is better but both are class
    lodore

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Where is it top rated at?

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Currently trialling CounterSpy without any problems. To date I prefer it to AVG. I haven't tried Spysweeper.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you are interested in realtime protection then why not give A-squared a try? If this offer is still good you can get it four months free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=22

Although the realtime protection of A-squared is very good, it has a high number of false positives for an upper echelon program. Maybe realtime with A-squared but on-demand scanning with SAS would be a good combo.

But back to your question of which is better between AVG, CS and SS I would go with SS. I loved the program until they added the AV component. The prior version was the best realtime I have ever used. Their detection rates (when I used it for a year up until about 4 months ago) was also very good with very few false positives and removal of detections.

If you are looking for a program with exceptional customer support then CS is in a class by its own, exceptional. If v2 has been ironed out then it would also be a good choice.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i meant it was a decent antispyware app.
    the top rated part was just another way of putting it
    lodore

14. toasale

toasale Registered Member

I've betaed for all three through many versions and I rate these three:

1. CS
    2. SS
    3 AVG

Currently CS has a 2 star rating advantage over SS in many professional circles.

:thumb:

15. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

FYI.... I just received this "ad" as a SS customer:

I realize this is OT a bit. I don't know which is best at this time. When I got SS a while back it was the "best" in the sources I used. Check the independent test lab reports.

Spy Sweeper™ with AntiVirus 5.5 beta is now available to download. Key features of Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus version 5.5 include:

* New inbound and outbound email attachment scanning
    * New proactive behavioral protection against known and unknown threats
    * Enhanced real-time protection capabilities
    * Performance improvements
    * User interface enhancements
    * Upgrade to the most effective combined antispyware and antivirus protection on the market

I'm not proceeding to go with Beta's until I get a test PC working.

If I get this as a production version I will have to disable the clashing real time features between my 3 pieces of the layers in my set up.

The simplest example is all 3 of mine BD10, this new SS version, and ZA Pro all scan or will scan in/out email. I don't think I need 3 email scanners?

16. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

If you opt for SS w/ AV I would disable the AV part since it uses the Sophos engine. Sophos detection rates have been lousy for quite some time, and they demanded that AV-Comparatives yank their recent single product AV review. :oops:

17. The Hammer

I'm now a paid up CounterSpy user. :cool:

18. btman

btman Registered Member

Just had a hell of a time with Counterspy... I install it... And install KAV 6 (Uninstalled KIS 6 before that because I didn't need the Anti-Hacker and Anti-Spam and got a new key recently for KAV so it's cool n cheaper yearly lol)... Log in... BSOD... Uh oh... Comp restarts I re-run registry scanners in safe mode... Found nothing useful... Restart comp multiple times normally... But each time it froze... Can't uninstall Counterspy in safe mode... So I uninstall KAV... Go into normal mode and realize my uninstaller for Counterspy has an error... After around a half hour I fix it... Uninstall Counterspy... Re-Install KAV... And now I'm back on track.... Also while Counterspy was running it was quite resource heavy... Heavier then Kaspersky set on HIGH... And people think it's heavy o_O.

19. The Hammer

No problems running it with NOD.;)

20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I wouldn't install any of the 3 in the title.

A2, SAS or even the weaker but very compatible Spyware Terminator.

21. btman

btman Registered Member

Counterspy and NOD or Kaspersky... Definitely not worth it IMO :)... Protection and money-wise lol. I'll try Counterspy at a later time... But right now I do have more then I should of security programs on my comp.

22. The Hammer

Just running it with NOD and a router. Maybe the other programs you have are causing issues.

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Agreed. The Sophos "came with the car". I disable it and only use it as an extra on demand AV.

It hasn't found anything, but that maybe due to many reasons in addition to it's low detection performance.

Did AV-Comparatives agree to pull the review?

24. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Lol - now I have to clean coffee from the keyboard :D

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You have to compare and count the signatures of AVG, Webroot and CounterSpy. Then you will know the winner.
    I recommend all three, because what AVG misses, might be detected by Webroot or CounterSpy and vice versa. You can't have scanners enough to remove as many malware as possible, the rest remains on your computer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.