AVG Anti-Spyware autostart entry

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Bubba, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would the below be a problem with AVG Anti-Spyware recognizing it's own program start-up entry or something local to my install ?

Bubba

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

With me that entry does not appear. As with ewido version 4, the autostart entry for AVG AS is suppressed. However I did do a clean install with reboot and Reg clean after removing ewido.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Same here Topper....along with the Legacy driver removal that remains. It's all good tho....just wondering if others were seeing it also in this new AVG Anti-Spyware version.

Bubba

4. TopperID

Thanks for reminding me about the Legacy stuff, I'd forgotten to delete that. :(

It's one of life's mysteries, but despite Reg cleaning and rebooting etc etc, I'm still getting RD tell me that ewido's startup entry is being written as data to various Keys, by various progs. I can't say too much 'cos it may be more of an RD issue; except that with ewido completely removed I can't help wondering if the AVG AS prog is somehow responsible. :'(

At least the 5 minute writes have stopped though. :)

Attached Files:

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, TopperID

Have you looked in hidden devices, for left over drives.

My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Dervice Manger>View>Show hidden devices.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Bubba,

What are the "legacy" entries, do we need to delete them and if so how? Sorry I am so dumb about this.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

If you wish to remove the Legacy driver from the registry and are running XP-SPx Home Edition, here is a website that provides for adding the Security Tab to the properties window.

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=9162

This allows you to gain "permission" to remove these drivers in the registry.

8. TopperID

I've had a look but I've only got AVG-AS driver references amongst my non-plug & play drivers, all the ewido driver stuff has been cleaned out. Yet I still get RD claiming that the ewido starup entry is being placed as data at a wide variety of Reg Keys by a wide variety of progs!

When I look in Regedit, I find that none of the entries has actually been written in the Registry, yet RD reports that they have! It is bizzare and I can only assume AVG AS is somehow responsible; though I would have to try disabling or uninstalling it to be sure.

9. TopperID

You need to bring up Regedit and go to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\*controlset*\Enum\Root\Legacy_

And look out for the ewido Keys. You need to change permission on the Keys (by right clicking) before you can delete them.

10. HelpFromFrance

TopperID,

Is there any reason not to delete them? Is it good or bad to get rid of them? Thanks for telling me how, now is there any up or downside to getting rid of them?

Thanks in advance,
    HelpFromFrance

11. TopperID

There is no downside to getting rid of them, they just won't uninstall when you remove ewido via Add/Remove progs. So you must remove them manually or leave them there. Your Registry is bound to have loads of junk in it from past uninstalls, it's usually a good idea to get rid of what you can - so long as you don't accidently remove something you shouldn't!

The new AVG-AS has its own Legacy Keys of course, which makes the old ewido ones irrelevant at best and a possible source of interference at worst.

12. HelpFromFrance

TopperID,

Found them, deleted them. It was a little tricky since I had never changed permissions on any keys, and was not sure, but took my time and read, since mine are in French, I could not base on what was in your post, but found the right permissions and deleted the keys. I was surprised, there were only 2, but that is 2 less.

I try to keep my computer clean, I only install a program is I am SURE that I will use it and always try to run ccleaner to clean up what it can, but of course it could not get those.

Anyway, thanks for the help and have a great day,
    HelpFromFrance

13. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

I would like to apologize, I seemed to have hijacked your thread, I am sorry and should have started another, but when I saw the comments about "legacy", I didn't think and ask my question here. Again, I am sorry.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It's all good HFF and no need to appologize. Glad you were able to get it taken care of :thumb:

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.